This easy hashbrown casserole is a simple and delicious dish perfect for breakfast or dinner. Packed with cheesy goodness and soft potatoes in every flavorful bite, this is a comforting dish the whole family will enjoy!
Hashbrown casseroles are one of those dishes that is the best of both worlds. It's breakfast for dinner or a hearty, low-maintenance dinner, depending on when you decide to serve it up. I often choose to make it for dinner with a side of steamed broccoli.
Creating this uncomplicated hash brown casserole is as simple as you'd expect. Whether you opt for store-bought or homemade frozen hashbrowns, this recipe effortlessly comes together, making it a hassle-free meal.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal effort. Just combine the ingredients, pour them into the pan, top with cheese and butter, cover, and bake to perfection.
- Quick prep. It doesn't take long to throw together and can be made in advance too, so use this quick hashbrowns casserole whenever you want an easy dinner planned on the menu.
- It's customizable. Whether you want to introduce cooked meats like shredded chicken, bacon, or ham, incorporate diced veggies like bell peppers, or experiment with different cheeses, there are endless possibilities to create a unique version that suits your taste.
Frozen Hashbrowns- You'll need frozen hashbrowns for the base of this recipe. They can be used from frozen and do not need to be thawed.
Sour Cream- You can use sour cream or plain unflavored Greek yogurt. This adds a rich and creamy consistency.
Condensed Mushroom Soup- Casseroles almost always have a condensed soup and we find that cream of mushroom or cream of chicken works best here.
Shredded Cheese- For a comforting taste we like to add shredded cheese to this casserole. You can use any cheese variety of choice but I prefer cheddar cheese.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
You can make this recipe with or without meat. I often use cooked bacon bits or small diced ham when I want to add in meat but even shredded chicken tastes great.
Hashbrowns. You can use homemade hashbrowns instead of storebought if desired. This is roughly 4 cups of hashbrowns.
Condensed soup. Cream of mushroom soup can be swapped out for cream of chicken.
Milk. This easy hashbrown bake can be made with half and half or even heavy cream instead of milk.
🔪 Instructions for Easy Hashbrown Casserole
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a 9x13 baking dish, set it aside.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl combine the hashbrowns, sour cream, onion, cream of mushroom, milk, half of the cheese, and your meat (if using) until well blended.
Step 3: Pour into your prepared baking dish and then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Step 4: Slice the butter into 12 equal sized squares and arrange them onto the cheese in 4 rows of 3.
Step 5: Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
Step 6: Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Step 7: Allow to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes. This will help the casserole to set before serving, making it easier to dish up.
🍴 Make Ahead Tips
You can make this easy cheesy hashbrowns casserole up to 8 hours in advance. Perfect for prepping the night before!
To do this simply prepare the casserole as directed and cover well with foil. Place into the fridge and allow to rest overnight until morning.
In the morning set the pan on the counter as the oven preheats. Then bake as directed.
Note that because the hashbrowns were thawed before baking the casserole could be finished cooking in as little as 40 minutes, so checking on the casserole as it bakes could be a great idea to prevent it from overcooking.
🥗 Side Dishes
Serve it up whenever you want. Just make sure to set your servings aside first because this hashbrown casserole doesn't last long!
This casserole can be left stored in the fridge in an airtight or well covered container for up to 5 days. Just reheat again before serving.
💭 Recipe FAQs
If you don't want to make this easy hash brown casserole with sour cream you can use plain unflavored Greek yogurt in its place. This will give you the same great results but without actually using sour cream.
Because this dish is so perfect for both breakfast and dinner you can serve it alongside just about anything from pancakes and waffles to roasted chicken breasts and salad. I often serve ours at dinner time with a simple green veggie.
Nope! Just add them to a big bowl and mix everything together while they're still frozen. They will leave a nice moisture in the dish as it cooks, so things work out pretty perfectly that way.
❤️ More Delicious Casserole Recipes
If you tried this Easy Hashbrown Casserole, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Easy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 bag (30-32oz) Frozen hashbrowns ($3.42)
- 1 cup (8oz) Sour cream ($1.18)
- 1 cup Onion, diced ($0.91)
- 1 can (10.5oz) Condensed mushroom soup ($0.54)
- 1 cup Milk (¾ of can) ($0.20)
- 1 bag bag (8oz) Shredded cheese (1.5cups) ($2.22)
- 1 cup Ham, diced or 3 slices bacon, cooked ($0.60)
- ½ cup Butter, sliced ($0.99)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a 9x13 baking dish, set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the hashbrowns, sour cream, onion, cream of mushroom, milk, half of the cheese, and your meat (if using) until well blended.
- Pour into your prepared baking dish and then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Slice the butter into 12 equal sized squares and arrange them onto the cheese in 4 rows of 3.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes. This will help the casserole to set before serving, making it easier to dish up.
- Serve warm.
- If you want, you can replace the store-bought hashbrowns with homemade frozen hashbrowns. You will need 4 cups worth.
- Cream of mushroom can be used in place of condensed chicken soup.
- Half and Half or heavy cream can be used in place of the milk.
- Sour cream can be replaced by plain unflavored Greek yogurt.
- Make-ahead Instructions. Prep as directed and cover in foil. Place into fridge for up to 8 hours. Allow to rest on the counter in the morning as the oven preheats and then bake as directed. Note that the hashbrowns may cook up to 15 minutes faster this way so keep an eye on them.
- Storage. Leftovers can be stored for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.