This easy Dorito taco salad just uses a few simple ingredients and comes together in minutes. A homemade meal can't get any more simple than this!
Dorito Taco Salad is a fun and flavorful twist on traditional taco salad, and it's perfect for gatherings, potlucks, or weeknight dinners. It's quick to prepare, easy to transport, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
This dish is a favorite in our home and while we often give it some fun "upgrades" this taco salad with ground beef and Doritos is the bare basic recipe that we use to build from. Everything starts with this simple base.
This dish combines the bold and cheesy crunch of Doritos with all the classic taco ingredients, creating a satisfying and flavorful meal that's sure to please both kids and adults.
The Doritos themselves provide a delightful crunch and an extra dimension of flavor to every bite. The combination of textures, from the crispy chips to the juicy meat and fresh veggies, creates a satisfying and enjoyable eating experience.
The vibrant colors, zesty flavors, and satisfying crunch will make this salad a hit at any event, making it a must-try for those who love a bit of Tex-Mex flair in their salads.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's great for leftover taco meat. We really like to reuse leftover foods in new recipes around here and taco meat makes an awesome salad. You don't even need to heat it up first!
- You can customize it. Add in things like beans, corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, or keep it plain and simple. This recipe is so much fun to experiment with.
- Perfect for a cold dinner on a hot summer day. We've all experienced those days when it's too hot to do much of anything. This recipe (along with our Giant Sub Sandwich) is our cold dinner go-to recipe.
Salsa- I like to use chunky red salsa, but you can use your favorite. This gives us a nice flavor and kick of heat.
Green salad- I find that using the cheaper bags of mixed salad works best. Chopped iceberg lettuce adds a cool and refreshing crunch.
Doritos- Adding nacho Doritos to the salad will give you added crunch and cheese flavor.
Taco seasoning- To season the ground beef, you'll need some taco seasoning. Use storebought or a DIY Taco Seasoning.
- Diced Onions
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Kidney Beans
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
You can use any variety that you like! Ranch flavored and Spicy flavors work great but I personally tend to choose Nacho flavored. This is mostly because my kids have sensitive mouths so choosing more mild flavors helps to get them to eat without complaints.
Step 1: Prepare the taco meat by browning the ground beef, draining the grease, and then mixing in the taco seasoning. Remove from heat and allow to cool before use.
Step 2: Place your salad into a large serving bowl. Top with your seasoned taco meat.
Step 3: Mix well to combine.
Step 4: Top with crushed Doritos.
Step 5: Toss well to combine.
Step 6: Add salsa to the salad.
Step 7: Mix well to evenly coat everything.
Step 8: Add shredded cheese.
Step 9: Mix well to distribute.
Serve with any additional toppings, if desired, and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
I personally find that this salad tastes best with the garn variety salad mix. (That one with the purple cabbage). This is mostly because of the iceberg lettuce- it adds a nice watery crunch that's refreshing to eat.
You can mix together salads, spinach, or whatever leafy base you prefer. I usually flip between the garden variety and the 50/50 blend myself as those are what I keep on hand.
Absolutely! I love this salad with ground beef but ground turkey or even shredded chicken works great! In fact, my crockpot shredded enchilada chicken would taste incredible in this salad.
Yes, you can- kind of. If you allow your meat to cool completely you can mix everything together except for the salsa up to a day in advance. Don't add the salsa until just before serving because it causes the lettuce to wilt.
Sour cream, sliced avocados, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and the list! There are so many tasty toppings and add-ins that you can toss into this taco salad and all of them make it that much more incredible.
❤️ More Delicious Main Dish Recipes
If you tried this Easy Doritos Taco Salad, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Easy Doritos Taco Salad
- 1 cup Salsa ($0.56)
- 1 pound Browned ground beef ($3.37)
- 3 Tablespoons Taco seasoning ($0.44)
- 1 bag Green Salad (12 ounce) ($1.78)
- 1 cup Doritos, crushed ($1.08)
- 1 cup Shredded cheese ($0.93)
- Prepare the taco meat by browning the ground beef, draining the grease and then mixing in the taco seasoning. Remove from heat and allow to cool before use.
- Place your salad into a large serving bowl. Top with your seasoned taco meat. Mix well to combine.
- Top with crushed Doritos. Toss well to combine.
- Add salsa to the salad. Mix well to evenly coat everything.
- Add shredded cheese. Mix well to distribute.
- Serve with any additional toppings, if desired, and enjoy!