If you're looking for an easy way to make slow cooker chicken enchilada filling or taco seasoned chicken for any Mexican dish- this is the easiest month by far!
By making crockpot chicken with enchilada sauce you can get tender and flavorful chicken with no effort. Who doesn't want an easy dinner?
This super easy slow-cooked chicken is so fast to prepare that you can have it cooking in under 5 minutes. After it finishes cooking, you can shred the crockpot chicken for enchiladas together in under 30 seconds with the help of an electric mixer!
This means that you get all of that extra time in your day to do what you want. It also means you can make a big batch and keep shredded Mexican chicken on hand for various meals throughout the week like nachos, casseroles, and soups!
You're going to love how easy this slow cooker chicken with enchilada sauce is. With so much free time on your hands, you can do the things you want and feel happy knowing that dinner is taken care of.
- Enchilada Sauce
- Taco Seasoning
- Chicken Breasts
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make crockpot chicken with enchilada sauce with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Place your chicken breasts in a crockpot.
Top with taco seasoning.
Pour a can of enchilada sauce over the top of your chicken.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 5-6.
Shred while it's in the slow cooker, or remove and then shred before adding it back.
Use slow cooker shredded chicken for enchiladas, tacos, nachos, or whatever else you have in mind.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this chicken can't possibly get any easier so there aren't many tips to share. But my favorite tip of all is to use a handheld mixer to shred up the chicken. Just two beaters on a mixer can have all your chicken shredded in under 30 seconds flat!
Most people already have a handheld mixer in their house already, so this is a nifty trick that saves time and dishes because otherwise, you'd have to remove the breasts and shred them with two forks on a cutting board.
Don't worry about the extra liquid in the crockpot when it finishes cooking, it gets absorbed up by the shredded chicken and disappears rather quickly.
🐓 Shredded Chicken Uses
Your flavorful shredded chicken would be great in just about any Mexican-inspired dish.
With a nice lime dressing, you can have a southern-style salad, or you top a baked sweet potato and add in other toppings to make a taco potato bake.
Using 1 cup of meat in a taco soup could also be a great way to stretch the meat into several meals.
Absolutely! After your chicken has completely cooled, place it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and keep it stored until you're ready to use. Then simply let it thaw and reheat to use as desired.
Yes, you can! While the flavors of the two seasonings are both similar and different, you can use either one for this shredded chicken recipe. Just keep the flavors in mind when you go to use your chicken and look for ways to use it that will taste great (this shouldn't be a problem). 😉
Of course! Use your favorite enchilada sauce and you know that you'll love this chicken that much more! I recommend using about 1 cup or 1.5 cups of homemade sauce because that should be about the same amount as what you'd get in a can.
More Dinner Recipes to Try Soon
- Tater Tot Hotdish
- Garlic and Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Roast
- Walking Taco Casserole
- Oven Baked Beer Butt Chicken
- Easy Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- How to Cook Brats in the Oven
Crockpot Chicken with Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning ($0.44)
- 3 large chicken breasts ($5.97)
- 1 10oz can of enchilada sauce ($1.98))
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Top with taco seasoning, evenly sprinkling it over the breasts.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Cook on low or 7-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve/use as desired.
- How to shred chicken. You can use the two forks method, which means to remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks by raking them across the meat in opposite directions, or you can use the electric mixer method. Simply place your electric mixer with beat attachments into the crockpot and mix on medium to low speed until the meat is shredded. This method is much faster and my favorite of the two.
- Stir the shredded meat into the sauce when finished. This is where all other yummy juices are!
- Fajita seasoning mix instead of taco seasoning mix. While the flavors of the two seasonings are both similar and different, you can use either one for this shredded chicken recipe. Keep the flavors in mind when you use your chicken and look for ways to use it that will taste great (this shouldn't be a problem).
- Use homemade enchilada sauce. Use your favorite enchilada sauce, and you know that you'll love this chicken that much more! I recommend using about 1 cup or 1.5 cups of homemade sauce because that should be about the same amount as what you'd get in a can.