This easy dinner dish can go from prep to table in under 30 minutes. Made with Tilapia fillets, a creamy sauce, cheese, fresh spinach, and cherry red tomatoes, every bite is an explosion of flavor. It's no wonder how it became such a huge favorite around here.
Baked Tilapia with Spinach
A while back I was looking for recipes to use up a few odds and ends that I had in the house and I came across a Creamy Baked Tilapia and Spinach Casserole on Alyona's Cooking. I adapted it to what I had on hand and what I thought would go well together and it was an instant success.
I have since made this recipe a few times and every time I make it I get rave reviews from the family. I have even learned the hard way that I have to double the amount and use two 9x13's instead of one because everyone wants second helpings... or thirds.
It's so easy and quick to throw together that it's perfect for a simple dinner after a long hectic day. The flavors are also comforting and simple making it a welcomed meal to come home to.
Baked Tilapia Casserole Ingredients
- Fresh Spinach
- Tilapia Fillets
- Sour Cream
- Black Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cherry Tomatoes
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making tilapia with spinach and tomatoes
I have made this recipe with slight variations and found that it still turns out pretty great regardless of what you do. For example, if you do not have mozzarella cheese on hand, adding extra parmesan cheese or asiago blend works great.
The cherry tomatoes can be left off if you're truly not a tomato fan, but I honestly think the acidic flavor adds something to the dish and the bright colors really make it look great too. I'm not sure how sun-dried tomatoes would turn out but I think they could be great in this recipe as well.
FAQ's about baked tilapia and spinach recipe
Because this recipe already contains veggies and protein I think the only thing missing is a nice carb. Serving this casserole up with simple garlic and parmesan pasta or buttered noodles is a great way to accompany the dish without overpowering it.
Yes, you can make this dish in advance, simply place it into a baking dish as instructed and then cover the pan with a lid or foil until ready to bake. Let the pan sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking so that you aren't sticking a cold baking dish into the hot oven. You can use this time to preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Your fish leftovers are good for about 3 days. Simply reheat in the oven or in the microwave until warmed through before eating. The leftovers for this recipe taste almost as good as the day they were first made.
How to Make Creamy Tilapia and Spinach with Cherry Tomatoes
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Lay 3 handfuls of washed spinach leaves in the bottom of the baking dish.
Top with pads of cubed cold butter.
Top the butter with your tilapia fillets, trying to avoid as much overlap as possible.
In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream, and seasonings until well mixed.
Spread the mixture over the top of the tilapia fillets, evenly with a rubber spatula.
Sprinkle your shredded cheeses on top of the cream mixture.
Top it off by sprinkling the halved cherry tomatoes over the cheese.
Bake in the oven at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the tilapia's internal temperature has reached 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
More great recipes to try
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Bake
- Purple Cow Float
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Applesauce Custard Pie
- Frosted Hershey Cocoa Brownies
- Mac and Cheese Quesadilla
Creamy Tilapia and Spinach with Cherry Tomatoes
- ¼ cup butter cubed
- 3 handfuls spinach leaves (4 ounces)
- 4-5 tilapia fillets, depending on size *See note
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fand grease inside of a 9x13 baking dish.
- In the bottom of the baking dish, lay 3 handfuls of clean spinach leaves.
- Lay the tilapia fillets over the top of the butter, avoiding as much overlap as you can. Some is okay and unavoidable, but less overlap is best.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream, and seasonings.
- Spread this mixture over the top of the tilapia fillets evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the creamy mixture. Top with the halved cherry tomatoes.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes or until internal tilapia temperature reaches 145 degrees F with an instant read thermometer.