Oatmeal chocolate chip banana bread is a combination of flavors and textures that just work great together. Soft, moist banana bread, studded with chocolate and packed with fibrous oats.
Adding oats into the batter puts a fun spin on chocolate chip banana bread. With every bite of this banana oat chocolate chip bread, you'll get the flavorful combination you'd expect and a little chewy goodness so you won't be able to tell if this is breakfast, a dessert, or just a snack.
Truth be told, this chocolate chip banana bread with oats is great any time of the day (or year for that matter)! It's comforting, homey and so gosh darn delicious you can't help but daydream of taking your first bite as it bakes in the oven filling your home with that wonderful banana bread aroma!
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Simplicity at its finest. Made with just a few simple ingredients and without dirtying every dish in the house, it's as easy to make as you can imagine.
- Quick prep. It's so fast to throw together that the batter can be ready in the same time it takes for the oven to preheat.
- It's always popular. Banana bread doesn't need a time of the year to make an entrance at your house. It's evergreen and always well-received.
Ripe bananas- You will need some ripe spotted bananas to make this banana bread well flavored and sweeter.
Chocolate chips- To make this banana bread even more indulgent, add in some semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
Oats- You'll want to use some old fashioned oats in this bread for added texture and flavor.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x4 bread pan, setting it aside.
Step 2: Add your peeled ripe bananas to a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mash the bananas until no large chunks remain.
Step 4: Add in the vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt.
Step 5: Mix well to combine.
Step 6: Add in the vanilla, egg, and sugar.
Step 7: Whisk again until smooth.
Step 8: Add the flour to the wet banana mixture.
Step 9: Mix just until no flour streaks remain. Do not overmix.
Step 10: Add in the chocolate chips and oats.
Step 11: Fold them into the batter until well distributed.
Step 12: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step 13: Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Step 14: Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
I recommend letting the loaf rest for 1 hour before slicing. This will give the chocolate a chance to set so that it isn't too messy.
Serve and enjoy.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this chocolate oat banana bread is easy and simple, as it should be! That said you can still add in a few fun twists to make it more unique.
Swap out the chocolate chips for semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or even dark and you have a new combination of flavors. While I don't recommend using a harder oat like Steel, using a softer one would work if you're looking for oats without the texture.
You can also make this bread sweeter by adding in more sugar but with the range of flavors already in this bread recipe, adding in ½ cup of brown sugar would work great for a little more depth of flavor with the sweetness.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can use vegetable oil, canola oil, butter, or even coconut oil depending on what you are looking for. Each will add a little fat into the bread and makes it moister but butter can help to make the flavor a little richer, whereas coconut oil makes it a bit healthier and adds a coconut flavor.
If you keep this moist oatmeal chocolate chip banana bread well stored at room temperature in an airtight container, then you can expect it to last about 3-5 days and still taste great.
You should be able to use quick oats in this banana bread recipe just fine but note that due to the extra processing on the quicker oats the oaty texture may be practically nonexistent.
❤️ More Delicious Banana Recipes
If you tried this Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cups Mashed bananas (about 2-3 ripe) ($0.75)
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil ($0.23)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda ($0.01)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- 1 large Egg ($0.15)
- ½ cup Granulated sugar ($0.18)
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour ($0.20)
- 1 cup Chocolate chips ($1.07)
- ½ cup Old fashioned oats ($0.06)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x4 bread pan, setting it aside.
- Add your peeled ripe bananas to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas until no large chunks remain.
- Add in the vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix well to combine.
- Add in the vanilla, egg, and sugar.
- Whisk again until smooth.
- Add the flour to the wet banana mixture.
- Mix just until no flour streaks remain. Do not overmix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and oats.
- Fold them into the batter until well distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- I recommend letting the loaf rest for 1 hour before slicing. This will give the chocolate a chance to set so that it isn't too messy.
- Serve and enjoy.