Shepherd's Pie, or Cottage Pie, rather, is a comfort dish made with ground beef, mashed potatoes, and in this case- corn. Combined with a homemade sauce and instant mashed potatoes, this meal is filling and delicious.
Shepherd's pie is a dish that I didn't know about until after I met my husband. Of course, his definition of it was "ground beef with corn and mashed potatoes on top." So that's what I did for the first few years of our marriage. Nothing else added. He ate it happily though.
Turns out this was one of the frugal dinners he grew up eating and it helped him relive a moment of nostalgia each time I made it. But, I knew there had to be more than meat, corn, and potatoes and as time went by I continued to modify the recipe.
While I normally use real mashed potatoes, I can't deny how big of a time saver instant mashed potatoes can be! Even more fun is using the flavored instant potato packets for even more variety.
- Ground Beef
- Italian Seasonings
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Broth
- Canned Whole Kernel Corn
- Instant Mashed Potatoes
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make easy shepherd's pie with instant mashed potatoes with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain the excess grease. Cook the onions until clear.
Add in the minced garlic and stir to combine.
Add in the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
Stir in the flour and mix to coat.
Slowly add in the beef broth, and stir until the mixture has thickened.
Remove from heat.
In another pot make the mashed potatoes, following the instructions for the 8 servings option.
In your baking dish, spread the ground beef over the bottom of the pan.
Scatter the drained corn over the top, and spread it into an even layer.
Take the mashed potatoes and spread them out over the top of the corn.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
for this shepherd's pie with instant potatoes, you can make the instant mashed potatoes in advance, or at the same time (in a different pot) while browning the ground beef. To top a 9x13 pan of shepherd's pie, follow the instructions on the instant potatoes for the 8 serving quantity, this should yield about 3 cups of cooked potatoes.
Getting the browned potatoes look on top of the cottage pie is optional, but only requires about 3 minutes under a high broiler. Watch carefully because a minute too long will result in burnt potatoes.
Yes. You can make this dish about a day in advance and keep it covered in the fridge until you're ready to bake. Then set it on the counter to come to room temp as the oven preheats and bake as directed.
Yes, because the potatoes are already cooked, you can assemble this and freeze for a later meal or freeze leftovers without issues. Just make sure to keep it well covered and to bake within 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before heating.
If properly stored in the fridge in a covered container, leftovers can last 3 to 5 days. For best results eat it sooner rather than later.
More great dinner recipes to try
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Bake
- Cream Cheese Bacon Pasta Bake
- Simple Meatloaf with Oatmeal
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Cheesy Salsa Chicken and Rice Bake
- 3 Ingredient Spinach Artichoke Mac and Cheese
Easy Shepherd's Pie with Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs ground beef ($6.74)
- 1 med. onion, chopped ($0.70)
- 1 clove garlic, minced ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon salt ($0.05)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper ($0.02)
- 2 tablespoon ketchup ($0.08)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce ($0.02)
- 1 tablespoon flour ($0.01)
- ½ cup beef broth ($0.17)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, or 2 cups frozen ($0.50)
- 3 cups instant mashed potatoes (8servings) ($2.23)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown your ground beef and drain. Cook onions until clear.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir.
- Add in the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, ketchup, and Worchestershire sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the flour until well coated.
- Slowly add in the beef broth and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In another pot make instant mashed potatoes according to box for the 8 servings option.
- In your baking dish, spread your ground beef over the dish to cover nicely.
- Scatter the drained corn over the top of the ground beef, trying to make a nice even layer.
- Take the instant mashed potatoes and spread them out over the top of the corn.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.