This ground beef pot pie is simple and easy to make. A savory, meaty filling packed with veggies and flavor and topped with a golden buttery crust, what else could you want?
We love to eat pot pies around here and I love them because they're so easy to make. Using frozen veggies and a storebought crust this ground beef pot pie with cream of mushroom soup is as easy as it gets.
This cast iron skillet pot pie is cooked together in one large skillet, the flavors really have time to develop before baking, which is ideal for a flavorful pie.
I've cooked this easy ground beef pot pie on several occasions and it's always a hit, especially with my picky eater who always begs for second helpings. This ground beef pie is a huge hit in my house and I'm sure it will be in yours too.
- Ground Beef
- Olive Oil
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Frozen Mixed Veggies
- Pie Crust
- Ground Black Pepper
- Italian Seasonings
- Dried Thyme
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Egg Wash (1 Egg+Water)
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Pastry brush
Check out how to make ground beef pot pie with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Heat olive oil in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add in and cook the ground beef, celery, and onions until the ground beef is browned and the onion is soft. Drain grease if needed.
Stir in the salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, thyme, and Worchestershire sauce.
Stir in the mixed frozen veggies.
Add in 1 ½ cups of chicken broth.
Stir in the cream of mushroom soup until well mixed.
In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup of chicken broth with the cornstarch to create a slurry. Stir the slurry into the pot pie filling.
Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stir constantly to avoid bits from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Top your pie filling with a pie crust and press the edges of the crust into the skillet, remembering to cut a vent.
Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
This hamburger pot pie tastes fabulous as is but if we want a little "something extra" to add into the pot pie to make it more filling, we often add in drained and rinsed canned potatoes. We add these in right after everything else has cooked and just before we let the mix simmer and thicken before topping with the crust and baking.
When trying to get the pie crust on top, working quickly is of the essence as the crust softens as it warms, making it harder to maneuver. Usually, I try to push the edges down into the pie using a butter knife, but curling the edges to look more like an actual pie crust can be done as well. Whichever you prefer.
This cast iron pot pie goes great with cooked veggies like steamed green beans or a cold side salad. Even serving it with mashed potatoes or white rice can help to make it a more filling meal and soak up some of the juicy flavors.
This pot pie can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days after it's been cooled. I recommend transferring it to an airtight container in the fridge. It's not recommended to store cast iron pans in the fridge.
More ground beef recipes to try
- Instant Pot Ground Beef
- Simple Meatloaf Recipe with Oatmeal
- Poor Man’s Stew
- Meatloaf Without Eggs
- Easy Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Tater Tot Casserole With Corn (Hotdish)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie with Instant Mashed Potatoes
Ground Beef Pot Pie
- 1 lb ground beef ($3.37)
- 1 small onion, diced ($0.70)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil ($0.26)
- 1 can (10.5oz) cream of mushroom soup ($0.58)
- 1 bag bag (12oz) frozen mixed veggies ($1.00)
- 1 pie crust ($1.49)
- 3 stalks celery ($0.36)
- ½ teaspoon pepper ($0.05)
- 1 teaspoon salt ($0.10)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning ($0.10)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme ($0.05)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce ($0.30)
- ¼ cup cornstarch ($0.09)
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided ($0.61)
- 1 egg ($0.08)
- 1 tablespoon water ($0.00)
- In a cast iron, cook olive oil over medium heat. Add ground beef, onion, and celery, and cook until ground beef is browned and onion is soft. Drain grease if needed.
- Stir in seasonings and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in mixed frozen veggies.
- Add in 1 ½ cups chicken broth.
- Stir in mushroom soup.
- In another bowl, stir ½ cup chicken broth with cornstarch and whisk until blended slurry. Stir the slurry into the pie filling.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees F.
- Top the cast iron with a pie crust, pressing the edges of the crust into the pan. Remember to cut a vent at the top.
- Mix egg and water in a bowl to create egg wash. Brush top of crust with the egg wash.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 min until the crust is golden
- Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken and cool before serving.
Leave a Reply