You haven't lived until you've had your ramen like this. Ramen with egg and cheese is rich, creamy, flavorful, and so easy to make that you'll want to enjoy it over and over again.
We truly enjoy ramen around here mostly because it's cheap and easy. Still, recipes like this cheesy ramen with egg and our Spicy Peanut Butter Ramen and Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles are fabulous for when we want to change things up a bit.
Ramen noodles are a perfect for Meal Planning on a Tight Budget and while ramen is usually seen as a college kid's meal like Microwave Grilled Cheese, it can also become a family meal, any night of the week.
Made with just a few minutes on the clock and a couple of ingredients from your pantry, this dish goes from boring to fancy in no time flat.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to make. This one pan recipe is perfect for keeping things basic and simple. You'll love how fast ramen noodles with egg and cheese comes together.
- It's cheap. One of the reasons to grab a packet of instant ramen from the shelf is affordability, so of course, we need to keep the recipe cheap too, right?
- It's customizable. Feel free to mix things up by adding in meats or other toppings or seasonings as you see fit. There's so much room for tasty variations here. I love to add corn, sliced green onions, and shredded meat from Boiled Chicken Legs or thinly sliced Air Fryer Pork Loin Roast when we have it on hand.
Water- You will need 4 cups of water to cook the ramen in. This also becomes a broth for the noodles, so make sure not to just "eyeball it," as too much liquid will cause the dish to be flavorless.
Instant ramen- Use 2 packets of chicken-flavored instant ramen. You will discard one of the seasoning packets and use the other.
Eggs- For added flavor and texture, we want to add in 2 or 3 large eggs. Honestly, one egg per person is a good rule of thumb too.
Cheese- Use some shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use sharp or medium cheddar) for a nice cheesy flavor.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Ramen. If you don't have instant ramen on hand, you can replace it with thin spaghetti noodles instead. The ramen works great because they're fast-cooking thin noodles, but since we're discarding the seasoning packet anyways, feel free to simply swap the pasta types.
🔪 Instructions for Ramen with Egg and Cheese
Step 1: Place your water in a large skillet or pan. Add the two ramen noodles and ONE seasoning packet.
Step 2: Cook over medium-high heat on the stove until the noodles can be broken apart with a fork.
Step 3: Add in the milk and butter.
Step 4: Continue to cook until the butter has melted. Stir as needed.
Step 5: Crack your eggs and place them on top of the noodles.
Step 6: Place the lid onto the pan and continue, reduce to simmer, and cook until the eggs are finished to your liking. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
Step 7: Remove from heat, lift the lid, and sprinkle the cheese on top of the eggs and noodles. Return the lid to the pan.
Step 8: Let rest for a minute to allow the cheese to melt.
Step 9: Top with your garnishes of choice and serve warm.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Your eggs should take about 2-4 minutes to cook. At the two minute mark, the egg whites will be solid and no longer look clear or runny. The yolk will be runny. This happens at 145 degrees F.
For a firmer yolk (like a boiled egg), cook for another minute or two. This happens around 150 degrees F.
Necessary egg disclaimer: Eating raw or undercooked eggs can make you sick. For proper egg safety, cook to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. At this temperature, your eggs will no longer be runny.
One packet of instant ramen is 2 serving sizes (according to the package).
Due to the serving size of ramen, this recipe will make 2 large portions or four smaller portions. If making this recipe for more than two adults, you may wish to double the recipe.
You can keep leftover ramen stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 or 3 days. Reheat again before serving.
Reheating these noodles is easy and can simply be done in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes in a microwave safe bowl. I'd recommend heating eggs separately as they'll only take about 30 seconds.
You can also reheat in a pot on the stove. If your noodles feel dry or are sticking together, feel free to add in a splash of water to help fix the situation.
🥣 Recipe Add-Ins
This recipe tastes incredible as is, but don't be afraid to mix things up by adding in some favorites like sauteed mushrooms, cooked shredded chicken, or diced pork.
Tofu or cooked shrimp could also pair wonderfully with these noodles, making them into a much more filling meal.
💭 Recipe FAQs
I usually have the more affordable instant ramen types in my pantry. Nissin and Maruchan are among the well-known ramen brands.
When we want a hassle-free option and don't want to use a stovetop pot, we opt for microwave ramen. Simply place a block of ramen in a microwave-safe cereal bowl, add enough water to cover the noodles (break them if necessary), and microwave for 5 minutes. Then, drain and add the seasonings.
While most ramen noodles I'm familiar with have gluten, you'll find gluten-free options. You can use one of those or replace the suggested ramen with rice noodles.
❤️ More Delicious Pasta Recipes
If you tried this Ramen with Egg and Cheese, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Ramen with Egg and Cheese
- 4 cups Water ($0.00)
- 2 packages Chicken instant ramen, discard ONE seasoning packet ($0.62)
- ¼ cup Milk ($0.05)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter ($0.24)
- 2-3 large Eggs ($0.37)
- ½ cup Shredded cheddar cheese ($0.44)
- Sliced green onion or fresh parsley for garnish ($0.04)
- Place your water in a large skillet or pan. Add the two ramen noodles and ONE seasoning packet.
- Cook over medium-high heat on the stove until the noodles can be broken apart with a fork.
- Add in the milk and butter.
- Continue to cook until the butter has melted. Stir as needed.
- Crack your eggs and place on top of the noodles.
- Place the lid onto the pan and continue, reduce to simmer and cook until the eggs are finished to your liking. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, lift the lid, and sprinkle the cheese on top of the eggs and noodles. Return the lid to the pan.
- Let rest for a minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Top with your garnishes of choice and serve warm.