Making perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs has never been easier thanks to your Instant Pot! With just a few minutes you can have a few or a lot of perfectly cooked eggs that peel easily too.
The 5-5-5 method is the name given to eggs that are cooked like this and it stands for 5 minutes of High Pressure- 5 Minutes of Natural Release and - 5 minutes of an Ice Bath.
This method actually takes longer than 15 minutes, as you will wait for your Instant Pot to come to pressure to being the timer count down and I'm sure it will take you a moment to transport eggs between the stages to avoid burns and hot steam.
That said, this 5-5-5 eggs method is still the best method for cooking eggs and getting easy peel eggs in the end.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Instant Pot
- Measuring Cups
🍴 Recipe Tips
The most important thing to note about hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot is the time. I've seen it more times than I can count but please note that the 5 minutes of cook time does not include the pressure time. So many people have gone and counted 5 minutes from the moment the lid is sealed shut and then manually turned it off, but that's not the right way to do this.
Seal the lid, set the timer for 5 minutes. Wait for it to come up to pressure. Wait for the 5 minutes to count down. Wait for that beep at the end to signal that it's done and then give it another 5 minutes of just sitting there, depressurizing and gradually lowering in heat as it sits on "warm" mode.
Then take the Instant Pot eggs and place them in an ice bath with them.
I will say this, if you have long fingernails, try to use the sides of your thumb and fingers to pop the peels off so you don't accidentally take chunks out of the eggs we just made perfect.
Peeled eggs will only last in the fridge for about a day but unpeeled eggs can be kept for up to a week, so if you're meal prepping, save the peeling for later.
No, I cannot recommend this. To freeze the eggs will result in a rubbery and watery mess of egg after they thaw. Not ideal. Raw eggs, out of the shell can be frozen (in ice trays) if planning to use in baked recipes.
You should not leave eggs out of the fridge for more than 2 hours after cooking. Unless you plan on using them immediately, allow them to cool and then place them in the fridge until ready to use.
A simple test to check on the age and quality of your eggs is placing them into a glass or bowl of water. If the eggs float at the top or stand up, then it is old and you should either use quickly or discard. If they're at the bottom, then they're still fresh.
Check out how to boil eggs in Instant Pot with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Pour one cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Use 1.5 cups if you have an 8 qt Instant Pot.
- Lay the trivet down inside the pot.
- On the trivet, arrange your eggs so that they can fit.
- Close the lid and seal the vent.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes on High Pressure.
- Let Naturally Release for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and then transfer the eggs to a large bowl filled with ice water.
- Let the eggs sit in the ice bath for 5 minutes before removing and trying to peel.
- Use as needed.
More great Instant Pot recipes to try
- Instant Pot Chicken Quarters
- Instant Pot Hot Dogs
- Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- 5 Ingredient Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 cup water
- 12 large Eggs, (more or less is fine if they fit) ($0.96)
- Place your water and trivet inside of the Instant Pot.
- Lay the eggs on the trivet so that they can fit in there neatly.
- Close the lid and set the timer for 5 minutes on High Pressure. Let cook until it beeps.
- Let the Instant Pot rest for 5 minutes after the beep to Naturally Release for 5 minutes, before manually releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Transfer the eggs to a large bowl filled with an ice bath.
- Let sit in the ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Peel eggs and use as desired.