This blueberry cream cheese babka is a simple bread recipe that brings flavor and color to every slice. Filled with a sweetened blueberry cream cheese spread, every soft and fluffy slice is perfect for snacking.
Blueberry cream cheese swirl bread
I love blueberry recipes with cream cheese. Something about that rich and tangy flavor from the cream cheese pairs wonderfully with the sweet and tart cooked blueberries. This recipe has a sweetened cream cheese and blueberry filling to help counter any tartness so that every bite is perfectly sweet and perfect for breakfast, dessert, or simply snacking on throughout the day.
You’re going to love how easy this blueberry cream cheese bread is to make. You may even be impressed by how fast it disappears once you start slicing it up and serving it to the family. This is one bread that’s hard to resist! Eat it warm from the oven or chill it in the fridge for a refreshing treat on a hot summer’s day.
- All purpose flour
- Active dry yeast
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- blueberry jam
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making blueberry cream cheese breakfast braid
Making this bread is as fun as it is to eat but the filling can be a tad difficult due to the fact it likes to slide around. You can apply the filling as thick or as thin as you like but the thicker it’s spread, the harder it can be to keep the rolled bread and the braids intact as you work with the dough.
I find the best ways to help are to keep the bread uncut or pinched at one end of the dough log when you slice it in half to make two strands. This helps to keep it from slipping all over the place (at least somewhat) as you fold each strand over one another. The ends of the bread get tucked underneath the braided section when placing the dough into the bread pan so only the pretty braided top shows as the ends stay well hidden.
FAQ’s and Tips
After the bread has been completely cooled I do recommend keeping it stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This will help to keep the filling fresh. You can always warm a few slices on a plate in the microwave if you decide you like it better warmed too.
Yes, you can freeze this bread recipe! After the bread has cooled, wrap it well in plastic wrap and then place in a gallon sized freezer bag or an airtight container for up to 4 months. Thaw on the counter at room temperature before slicing and serving.
If you don’t have blueberry jam on hand but find yourself with blackberry, strawberry, or another flavorful variety, feel free to use them. I would try to stick with jams and preserves as they’ll spread and mix easier than a jelly would.
How to make blueberry cream cheese babka
Add in the water, canola oil, and sugar.
Stir together the dough mixture and then knead it for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise for about an hour until doubled in size.
Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface until it reaches a rectangle size of about 10 inches by 12 inches if not bigger.
Cream together the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until well mixed.
Spread the filling over the bread rectangle, leaving a few inches of space along the edges.
From one of the long ends to the other, roll the dough tightly into a log.
Pinch the seam along the side of the log to help hold them in place.
Using a sharp knife, slice down the center of the log making it into two strands. Keep one end uncut so that the strands are connected on one side. If desired.
Braid the two strands together by lifting one and placing it over the other and repeating until completed. Pinch the ends to hold them in place.
Pick up the braided blueberry bread and place it in a greased bread pan with the braid on top and the ends tucked underneath.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow to double in size in a warm place. (about 1 hour).
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
When the bread has doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and then bake the bread in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
Allow your bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice the bread and serve as desired.
More great bread recipes to try
- Simple Dairy Free White Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Stovetop Banana Bread
- Fruity Pebbles Banana Bread
- Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread
Blueberry Cream Cheese Babka
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (one packet)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water 110 F
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup blueberry jam
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt.
- Add in the water, oil, and sugar.
- Stir and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form a large rectangle about 10×12 (or bigger).
- In a mixing bowl cream together the filling ingredients until well mixed.
- Spread the filling over the flat bread, leaving a few inches of space along the edges.
- From one end of a long side, roll towards the other side, creating a tight log of rolled dough.
- Pinch the end seam together to hold it in place.
- Using a sharp knife, slice down the center of the log, making two strands and revealing the layers inside.
- Braid the two strands together by lifting one piece and placing it over the other and repeating, alternating sides as you go. Once finished pinch the ends of the braid together to hold them in place.
- Pick up your braided dough by the center and lift it into a greased 8×4 bread pan. Place the ends of the braid underneath so that the pretty center can rest at the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled (about an hour).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- When the bread has risen, bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.