Making your own homemade barbecue sauce is easier than you may think. With a few minutes of your time, you can have a flavorful sauce perfect for any meal or occasion.
BBQ sauce from ketchup
Have you ever planned dinner to taste one way only to realize you were missing the main ingredient, like the sauce? I can't count how many times I picture something already being in the pantry and plan a meal around it only to realize it's gone when I go to actually cook the meal.
Thankfully homemade barbecue sauces like this one have come in handy just as many times. It's so easy to take a few basic staples and cook them into a flavorful sauce so I never truly have to worry about being without.
All you need to do is measure, boil, and whisk. Easy enough, right?
Ingredients to make barbecue sauce
- Brown sugar: You can use regular granulated sugar if you don't have brown sugar but the depth of flavor from the molasses really makes the sauce taste great.
- Onion: Any onion will do but I prefer yellow, white, or sweet onions.
- Worchestershire sauce
- Vinegar: You can use any vinegar but I prefer apple cider vinegar.
- Lemon juice
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making easy BBQ sauce
Making this sauce is pretty easy so there are not too many tips to share.
Every batch will make enough for multiple uses or layers of sauce if you like to apply it thickly.
Keep in mind that at the beginning of the cooking process it will smell more like tomatoes thanks to the ketchup and as it cooks the tomato flavor and smell will become toned down and lend together better with everything that we have going on.
Adding in ¼-1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke can really take the flavors up a notch.
If you want the sauce to be blended smooth simply take it and add it to a food processor in batches to puree until smooth. This is optional and not necessary.
FAQ's about ketchup BBQ sauce
This sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How to make easy homemade barbecue sauce
Add all of the ingredients to a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
Whisk together until boiling and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
Allow the sauce to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and let cool. Use as desired.
More great recipes to try
- Mini Bagel Pizzas
- The BEST at Home Iced Coffee Recipes
- Cinnamon Crumble Banana Bread
- No Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
- Small Batch Cinnamon Rolls (Dairy Free, Egg Free)
- Sugar Free Strawberry Jam
Easy Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoon worchestershire
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Whisk together until boiling and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Allow the sauce to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Use as desired.