A delicious Godfather's copycat recipe that tastes so close to the real thing you won't tell the difference! From the pizza dough base to the cinnamon streusel topping and mini M&Ms, this Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza is nostalgia at its finest.
One of my favorite memories as a kid was getting to order delivery from Godfathers since we lived just a short drive away. They had an M&M topped streusel pizza that I always looked forward to.
Of course, I grew up and deliveries grew further apart until I completely forgot about this part of my childhood. But once I remembered, I had to order again, only to my dismay, there were no more M&Ms.
I couldn't afford delivery every time I had a craving, so I figured out how to make my own Godfathers streusel dessert pizza, and I don't even miss the real thing. This copycat Godfathers dessert pizza is as close to the real deal as I can get.
Serve this dessert pizza up with some homemade pizzas using this Pizza Dough In a Bag and have yourself a frugal pizza night.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's cheaper to make than ordering delivery. Making your own dessert pizza is far cheaper than ordering from anywhere else. Not only that, but you don't have to worry about tipping.
- It's fast! We don't need to let the dough rise for hours at a time. Just a few minutes here and there will do it. Perfect for a quicker dessert option when you change your mind at the last minute. (I do this a lot, haha).
- You can prepare the dough in advance. Make this dessert beforehand and keep it covered int he fridge up to a day in advance. Bake as directed and enjoy a tasty treat any night of the week.
Warm water- You will want to use warm water that is about 110 degrees F. This is enough to activate the yeast without being too hot.
Active dry yeast- Use any instant or active yeast to help the bread dough rise as it proofs.
Flour- The gluten structure of this recipe is flour. You can use all purpose flour or bread flour. Note that bread flour will require additional water to hydrate it.
Butter- You will need some melted butter. This will be brushed on the pizza with the cinnamon and will help to hold the streusel topping onto the pizza as it bakes.
Shortening- You'll want some shortening for the streusel topping, but cold butter can be used instead. I like shortening because it holds up better when baked.
Mini M&Ms- This is optional, but I love adding mini M&Ms to the topping!
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza
Step 1: Proof the yeast in the warm water and let rest 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add in the remaining pizza dough ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
Step 3: Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.
Step 4: Place the dough in a greased cake pan and let it rest on the stove as the oven preheats to 450 degrees F.
Step 4: In a bowl mix the streusel ingredients together until well mixed and looking like large pea-sized balls.
Step 5: Once the dough has rested and the oven is preheated, press the dough down in the cake pan.
Step 7: In another bowl, melt the butter and mix in the cinnamon. Brush over pizza dough.
Step 8: Sprinkle the streusel over the pizza dough, you will not need it all.
Step 9: Sprinkle M&Ms over the streusel.
Step 10: Bake the dessert pizza for 10 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
Step 11: Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes.
Step 12: Make the icing and place it in a bag and snip off one corner.
Step 13: Drizzle the icing around the dessert pizza in about 5 or 6 circles.
Slice and serve warm.
🍴 Recipe Tips
You can use storebought pizza dough to cut down on time and effort if desired, but homemade is always a winner in my book.
Double or triple the pizza dough recipe and use the dough for a homemade pizza night complete with this dessert and you'll have a fun time on your hands!
While all-purpose flour works perfectly fine, using bread flour can get you closer to that real dough flavor you expect from delivery.
Also, you're going to have a lot of streusel left over for other uses. Top it over some muffins or save it in the fridge for another cinnamon streusel dessert pizza soon.
💭 Recipe FAQs
This leftover pizza is good in the fridge for about 3-5 days. I recommend reheating for a minute in the microwave for that fresh delivered taste and a softer chew.
The pizza dough can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container or wrapped well with plastic wrap. I would wait until you're at least within a few hours of eating before preparing the entire dessert pizza though.
Either! While it tastes good cold, I recommend enjoying it while it's nice and warm. That's how Godfathers serves it. 😉
❤️ More Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you tried this Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza
- ¾ cup Warm water (about 110 degrees F) ($0.00)
- 1 teaspoon Active dry yeast ($0.15)
- 2 cups All-purpose flour, or bread flour ($0.26)
- 1 teaspoon Granulated sugar ($0.01)
- ¾ teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Olive oil ($0.21)
Cinnamon Butter Mixture
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted ($0.12)
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon ($0.04)
- ½+⅓ cup All purpose flour ($0.11)
- ⅓ cup Granulated sugar ($0.12)
- 3 Tablespoons Brown sugar ($0.08)
- 2 Tablespoons Shortening ($0.08)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil ($0.28)
- ¼ cup Mini M&Ms ($0.78)
- ¾ cup Powdered sugar ($0.27)
- 1 Tablespoon Warm water ($0.00)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.01)
- In a large bowl, place your warm water and yeast. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Stir and mix to combine. Dough will be shaggy.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Grease 9 inch round cake pan and place the dough ball inside. Let rest on top of the stove while the oven preheats to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, olive oil, and shortnening needed for the streusel. Mix until large pea-sized crumbs appear. Set aside.
- After the oven has preheated and the pizza dough has rested, press the dough down into the bottom of the cake pan in an even layer.
- Brush the melted cinnamon butter mixture over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle your streusel mixture over the top of the dough. You will not need all of it. (You can save it for other dessert pizzas or even muffins later).
- Sprinkle the mini M&Ms over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes.
- Make icing by mixing the powdered sugar, water, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Transfer to a baggie and snip the corner. Make circles around the dessert pizza (about 5 or 6).
- Slice your streusel pizza and serve warm.