French bread pizzas are an easy to make pizza creation packed with crisp and soft bread with cheese and sauce covered toppings. Every bite is delicious and filling.
As you may have already guessed, French bread pizzas are incredibly easy to make and prepare at home. I love how I can take a $1 loaf and a few toppings to create a cheap, filling meal in minutes flat.
While I enjoy making my own pizza crusts like Pizza Dough In a Bag or my No Rise Pizza Dough Recipe, french bread pizzas still hold a special place in my heart. I like them so much that I even created Air Fryer French Bread Pizzas.
Why This Recipe Works
- They're frugal, filling, and easy. Perfect for a pizza night when the budget doesn't allow delivery, and you don't want to make your own DIY pizza crusts.
- They are fast. Prep time and bake time won't take very long. In fact, you can have some pizza ready in under 30 minutes.
- They're very filling! Thanks to all of the bread and added cheese, this recipe is actually very filling. You may have leftovers to enjoy later!
French bread- You'll need one loaf of french bread, or you can use an Italian bread loaf. I like to grab my bread from the day old clearance section in my store's bakery.
Sauce- Use your favorite marinara or pizza sauce.
Toppings- Pepperoni, sausage, peppers, or veggies are all welcomed here. Pick your favorites and create a pizza you're going to love.
Cheese- You'll want some shredded mozzarella cheese or pizza blend cheese but keep in mind that cheese you shred yourself will melt nicer than pre-shredded cheese.
Olive oil- This will help to make the bread nice and crispy so that the sauce doesn't make the bread soggy.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make french bread pizza with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Slice the french bread loaf in half and then in half again so that there are two top halves and two bottom halves.
Brush the tops with olive oil and bake in the oven for 3 minutes to help toast the bread so that the sauce doesn't soak into the bread as much.
Spread sauce over the top of the toasted bread.
Top with cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese has melted and french bread is desired crispness.
🍴 Recipe Tips
French bread is a firmer crusted bread with a chewy white filling inside. We love it as-is but sometimes I want softer bread for my pizzas. In those cases, I'll grab a softer Italian loaf of bread from the bakery and use it. Tastes the same, but without the harder crunchy crust.
Also, the olive oil step is completely optional. I almost never brush my bread with oil and prebake it. The only times I actually do are when I want a bread firmer. For a softer texture, place sauce directly on untoasted bread.
For a firmer bite, do the olive oil step and the sauce won't soak into the bread as easily. As I said, it's optional and works either way. This easy french bread pizza recipe will still turn out delicious!
These bread loaf pizzas are best eaten after being made while still warm but leftovers could be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a day before getting soggy in texture. Reheat before eating for that nice warm feeling.
Take a loaf of French bread and slice it in half lengthwise along the middle to make a top and bottom half. Spread sauce on top, cover in pizza cheeses and toppings and bake until cheese is melted.
The french bread pizza cook time is dependent on the oven temp. The higher the oven temp, the less time it takes in the oven because the cheese melts faster. I like to cook mine at 425 for about 10-15 minutes.
More great pizza recipes to try
Baked French Bread Pizzas
- 1 French bread loaf ($1.00)
- ¼ cup Olive oil ($0.52)
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce ($0.57)
- 2 cups Shredded cheese (mozzarella, parm, or italian blend) ($1.98)
Toppings of choice
- Cooked chicken
- Sliced bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Slice french breads in half widthwise before slicing them in half the other way to reveal the soft insides. This makes it much easier to cut and portion.
- Brush olive oil over the crust and insides of the bread. Bake in oven, white side up, for 3 minutes. This helps to toast up the bread so the sauce spreads better and the texture is nice.
- Spread sauce on the white halves of the bread.
- Top with cheese and toppings as desired.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until desired crispness has been reached.
- Serve warm.