If you're looking for a simple and easy breakfast that's as spooky as it is festive, look no further. With just 2 ingredients and a few minutes of effort, you can have a delicious breakfast that ignites a fright at the table.
I love making spooky and fun treats for my kids. I even do it all year long- at their request). It's so much fun, and it's a great way to add a little "something extra" to a normal food routine.
While we don't eat canned cinnamon rolls often, they are almost always finding their way into our shopping carts. We like to keep them on hand for busy weekends or turn them into something creative like these zombie guts cinnamon rolls.
For more Halloween fun, make sure to check out my Halloween Worms and Dirt Cups, Frozen Whipped Zombie Brains, and Chocolate Halloween M&M Cake Mix Cookies.
Why This Recipe Works
- They can be presented as brains instead of guts. While my daughter says these edible guts look more like zombies' brains, I think it can easily go either way depending on how you position the rolls in your pan, so whether you're looking forward to eating intestines or brains, go for it!
- They're fun to make. You'll have a blast making these Halloween cinnamon rolls! The only thing more fun than assembling them and watching them come together is watching the excitement on everyone's faces.
- They're easy to make. Just some cinnamon rolls and some food coloring are all you'll really need. This means that this recipe is perfect for a cheap and easy breakfast no one will soon forget.
Food coloring- You will need some Red and Blue Food Coloring to help achieve that dark red/purple color.
Canned Cinnamon Rolls- Use your favorite cinnamon rolls, but make sure that they're the kind that unrolls.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make cinnamon roll intestines with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to the temperature requested by your canned cinnamon rolls.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish and open/unravel the cinnamon rolls. Lay them in the pan in back and forth zig-zag motions making them look like lines and blocks.
Leaving gaps between the rolls is okay.
Bake for the specified time directed on canned cinnamon rolls.
Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prep the icing.
In a bowl mix the icing with red food coloring.
Add in a small amount of blue ( a little goes a long way) and then add in more red until the desired color has been reached.
Spread the icing over the rolls and fill in the nooks and crannies. I found that a pastry brush is very helpful with this.
Slice your zombie guts cinnamon rolls and serve.
🍴 Recipe Tips
While I have no doubt that you have your own favorite brand or type of canned cinnamon rolls there is something that is important to note. Don't use Pillsbury unless you know that they unroll.
The brands I have the best luck with happen to be the cheaper store brand stypes and the more expensive ones like Annie's. Any would work, as long as it can be unraveled. Bake time and the temperature is 100% dependant upon the wrapper's instructions for cinnamon rolls, so bake according to package, after "surgery."
So with that in mind, enjoy this cinnamon roll guts recipe! Your spooky cinnamon rolls are sure to be delicious.
They will! Just bake them at the specified time and temperature on the package and follow along with the steps to make them look spooky!
The blue will add a better hue to the icing to make it slightly more realistic. I always think of intestines as being more purple in color thanks to the blues and reds in our body, if desired you just keep it red, but without the blue, the red will be very vibrant- like Santa's red suit.
More Halloween recipes to try
- Peanut Butter Jelly Spider Sandwiches
- Zombie Milkshake
- Halloween Mummy Dogs
- Bloody Vampire Bite Cupcakes
2 Ingredient Cinnamon Roll Intestines
- 2 cans Cinnamon rolls with frosting ($3.16)
- Food Coloring (Red & Blue) ($0.04)
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the cinnamon rolls. Mine said 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and open your cinnamon rolls. Separate the icing from the rolls.
- Unravel the cinnamon rolls and loosely place them in the baking dish in wavy lines and sections. Fill in gaps as you run low on cinnamon rolls and it's okay if they aren't crammed in there as they'll expand when baking.
- Bake for the specified time on the wrapper of the can of the cinnamon rolls. Mine was about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool a little as you prep the frosting.
- Place the frosting into a small bowl and add in a little red food coloring. It will turn a shade of pink.
- Add in the smallest amount of blue that you can (a little goes a LONG way). It should turn a shade of purple.
- Add in more red food coloring, a little at a time until you get the color desired.
- Spread the frosting over the tops of the cinnamon roll "guts." I spooned mine on top and as it warmed up I used a pastry brush to help get in the nooks and crannies.
- Once your intestine rolls have been covered in frosting, they're ready to eat. Slice and serve as desired.
Leave a Reply