Want delicious blueberry muffins but don't want to make them from scratch? This simple recipe will give you moist and fabulously fluffy muffins without all that "unnecessary" work.
Blueberry muffins using cake mix
I love muffins, and while making them from scratch is simple enough, something about using a boxed mix just calls to me. Perhaps it's the lack of dirty dishes, time, or effort put into every muffin that makes it that much tastier.
You're going to love these blueberry muffins. They require very little effort and yield such great results. Every muffin is moist, fluffy, and packed with blueberry flavor.
The best part? These muffins stay wonderful for days which is great because every recipe makes a lot of muffins, so share or take your time and enjoy every last sweet bite.
Blueberry muffins ingredients
- Cake Mix: You can use a white cake mix or yellow cake mix to achieve desired results. The sizes of the boxes vary but you'll want one that's 15-16 ounces in size.
- Flour: This will help to make sure that there is enough binder in the recipe that the moisture doesn't cause the muffins to become too wet while baking.
- Baking powder: While boxed cake mix already has leavening agents inside, adding baking powder will help to make these muffins taste fresher, trust me.
- Oil: Use canola or vegetable oil for the fat in these muffins. It will make them richer and moist.
- Milk: We want to use milk instead of water because it's more flavorful, but water can be used.
- Eggs: Adding eggs will help with the leavening, overall texture, and the binding of each muffin.
- Blueberries: Use fresh or frozen blueberries. If using frozen, don't over stir as that will cause the batter to turn purple.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making blueberry muffins from cake mix
Remember that when making these muffins, you want to not use the water, oil, eggs ratio on the back of the box. As you will notice our amounts of liquids don't match up to the back of the box.
That said, there are no big tips for making these tasty muffins. Simply add ingredients and don't over mix or over bake. The over-mixed batter will lead to a heavier texture with the muffins while overbaked will cause it to dry out.
FAQ's about blueberry muffins made with cake mix
These muffins can last up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yes, after these muffins have fully cooled you can safely store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When hungry, just grab one or a few and place them on the counter to come to room temperature before enjoying it.
How to make cake mix blueberry muffins
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a muffin tray with paper liners or nonstick cooking grease.
In a small bowl mix together the streusel topping until size of crumbs. Set aside.
Mix together the cake mix, flour, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl whisk together the milk, oil, and eggs until well mixed.
create a well in the center of the dry mix and pour in the wet mixture.
Stir until combined.
Fold in the blueberries.
Scoop the batter and fill your muffin cups ⅔s of the way full.
Sprinkle streusel over the top of the batter.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
More great muffin recipes to try
- Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
- The Easiest Carrot Muffins
- Simple Pear Muffins
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Cranberry Eggnog Streusel Muffins
- The BEST Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
- 1 box cake mix (15-16 ounce in size)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tray with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together the streusel topping until size of coarse crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the cake mix, flour, and baking powder.
- In another bowl whisk together the oil, milk, and eggs until well blended.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mix and add in the egg mixture.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and then scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray. Fill each one ⅔s of the way full. Sprinkle tops with streusel mixture.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until tops are golden and a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the baking tray and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.