This slow cooker cabbage recipe is packed with delicious flavors in every bite and requires very little effort to make- making it a perfect side dish for any occasion. With bacon, garlic, and onions scattered throughout, you know it's going to be good!
I love this bacon and cabbage slow cooker recipe. It's so simple and easy to make that we would live off of it if we could- no joke, everyone loves cabbage and bacon around here, and requests for this dish come in every time I bring home a new head of fresh cabbage.
Cooking cabbage in the slow cooker is my favorite no-hassle way to do it because it's as easy as setting it in the pot and walking away. If you enjoy bacon and cabbage, then this recipe is sure to be a huge hit around your home like it is in mine!
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's simple. Made with just a few ingredients and some basic seasonings, this recipe doesn't take much time or effort to prep, but it does require a little patience.
- Several servings. One batch of this cabbage and bacon mix will give you plenty of servings for the whole family to enjoy, and if you're lucky, there may even be some leftovers available for the next day!
- It is cheap! Although bacon can be a bit costly, this recipe requires only a few slices. Cabbage, on the other hand, is a highly affordable vegetable, and the seasonings used are likely staples in your pantry, making this side dish a frugal and budget-friendly choice.
Cabbage- You'll need a head of green cabbage for this recipe, but purple cabbage (or a blend of both) can be used instead.
Bacon- We like to use hickory smoked bacon or applewood bacon for the best flavor pairing.
Apple Cider Vinegar- Adding in a little vinegar really helps to elevate the flavors.
Minced Garlic- You can use minced garlic from a jar or fresh minced garlic depending on which you'd prefer.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Bacon grease. Instead of using bacon grease, you can use ¼ cup of sliced butter.
Bacon. Instead of cooking your own bacon strips, you can replace them with ⅔ cups of bacon crumbles/bacon bits.
Chicken broth. Water and chicken bullion can be used as a substitute.
Step 1: Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Reserve grease and crumble the cooked bacon into small pieces (about ½ inch). Set aside.
Step 2: Wash and cut your cabbage, in half. Then slice it again to quarter it into about 1 inch-sized pieces. Remove the hard core from the 4 quarters and discard. Place at the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step 3: Place all of the remaining ingredients into the crockpot (bacon, grease, salt, pepper, chicken stock, etc.)
Step 4: Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6.
Step 5: Stir before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
For this slow cooker bacon and cabbage recipe, make sure that the bacon that is added to the slow cooker has already been cooked until crisp. While the slow cooker can cook bacon fully, it will not get nice and crispy. If raw bacon is added it will just be a pink rubbery mess.
The apple cider vinegar doesn't do anything to break down the dish but it does help to give an added flavor that pairs perfectly with everything else making it wonderfully savory and aromatic.
Leftovers of this dish can be kept stored in an airtight or covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days. For best tasting results eat within 2 or 3.
Yes, simply place the cabbage in a pot on the stove over medium heat and stir almost constantly until heated through. You can also place a bowl of it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring well at the halfway mark.
This dish is perfect as-is for a main meal but if you want to make it into a side dish, feel free to serve it up with some hearty meat options. Foods like chicken, ham, or even pork roast would be perfect for pairing together with this savory dish.
❤️ More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
If you tried this Slow Cooker Cabbage, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Slow Cooker Cabbage
- 1 Large head cabbage, chopped (roughly 8-10 cups) ($2.46)
- 5-6 slices Bacon ($2.16)
- ¼ cup Reserved bacon grease ($0.00)
- 1 Onion, sliced thin (1 cup) ($0.70)
- 1 ½ cups Chicken broth ($0.45)
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar ($0.04)
- 1 teaspoon Salt ($0.10)
- 1 Tablespoon Minced garlic ($0.18)
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper ($0.05)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Reserve grease and crumble the cooked bacon into small pieces (about ½ inch). Set aside.
- Wash and cut your cabbage, in half. Then slice again to quarter it. About 1 inch sized pieces. Remove the hard core from the 4 quarters and discard. Place at bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients into the crockpot (bacon, grease, salt, pepper, chicken stock, etc.)
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6.
- Stir before serving.
- Instead of using bacon grease, you can use ¼ cup of sliced butter.
- Instead of cooking your own bacon strips, you can replace them with ⅔ cups of bacon crumbles/bacon bits.
- Water and chicken bullion can be used as a substitute.
- Make sure that the bacon is cooked to your desired crispness before adding to the pot. It will not crisp up in this dish.
- The apple cider vinegar doesn't do much but does add flavor and depth (highly recommend) trying.
- Storage. Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, for best results eat within 3.
- Reheating. Place cabbage leftovers into a pot over medium heat and stir almost constantly until heated through. Serve warm and enjoy.