Slow Cooker Cabbage
This slow cooker cabbage recipe is packed with delicious flavors in every bite and requires very little effort to make- making it a perfect side dish for any occasion. With bacon, garlic, and onions scattered throughout, you know it's going to be good!
Cost: Recipe $6.14 / Serving $0.61
- 1 large head cabbage, chopped (roughly 8-10 cups) ($2.46)
- 5-6 slices bacon ($2.16)
- ¼ cup reserved bacon grease ($0.00)
- 1 onion, sliced thin (1 cup) ($0.70)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth ($0.45)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar ($0.04)
- 1 teaspoon salt ($0.10)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic ($0.18)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper ($0.05)
Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Reserve grease and crumble the cooked bacon into small pieces (about ½ inch). Set aside.
Wash and cut your cabbage, in half. Then slice again to quarter it. About 1 inch sized pieces. Remove the hard core from the 4 quarters and discard. Place at bottom of the slow cooker.
Place all of the remaining ingredients into the crockpot (bacon, grease, salt, pepper, chicken stock, etc.)
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6.
Stir before serving.
- Instead of using bacon grease, you can use ¼ cup of sliced butter.
- Instead of cooking your own bacon strips, you can replace them with ⅔ cups of bacon crumbles/bacon bits.
- Water and chicken bullion can be used as a substitute.
- Make sure that the bacon is cooked to your desired crispness before adding to the pot. It will not crisp up in this dish.
- The apple cider vinegar doesn't do much but does add flavor and depth (highly recommend) trying.
- Storage. Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, for best results eat within 3.
- Reheating. Place cabbage leftovers into a pot over medium heat and stir almost constantly until heated through. Serve warm and enjoy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg