Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is simple and fast to throw together, especially if you use storebought pie crust. Enjoy this comforting meal with minimal prep and maximum flavor in every slice.
Servings: 8 slices
Cost: Recipe $7.65 / Serving $0.95
- ½ Onion, diced ($0.35)
- 2 Tablespoon Butter ($0.18)
- ½ teaspoon Salt ($0.05)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper ($0.02)
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Sage ($0.02)
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder ($0.02)
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder ($0.02)
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning ($0.05)
- 1 pinch Nutmeg (⅛ teaspoon) ($0.02)
- 2 Tablespoon Butter cut into 5 or 6 small pads ($0.18)
- 1.5-2 cups Cooked Chicken ($2.08)
- 1 bag Frozen Mixed Veggies about 10-12 ounces ($1.00)
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup ($0.58)
- ½ cup Milk ($0.10)
- 1 box Refrigerated Pie Crust, 2 crusts ($2.98)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Saute your onion and 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan until translucent.
In a large mixing bowl combine the onions with the salt, pepper, sage, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, chicken, frozen veggies, can of cream of chicken, and milk. Stir until combined and evenly distributed.
Prepare the bottom pie crust in a pie plate.
Add your filling to the pie crust.
Top with 2 tablespoons of butter that has been cut into small pads.
Top with the remaining pie crust. Crump the edges and cut some holes for the pie to vent.
Brush the top with milk.
Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. This will help the liquid inside set so that it isn't too runny when serving.
- Frozen Veggies. You can use any blend of veggies you'd like in your pot pie. I usually opt for the carrots and peas variety or the carrots, peas, corn, and green bean mixture but any blend is fine. You could also opt for drained canned veggies or cooked fresh veggies. You'll want to dice them small (if needed) and saute them with the onions until soft.
- Pie crust. You are more than welcome to make this pot pie using homemade pie crust instead of store-bought. You can also make the pie in a baking dish or 12 inches cast iron skillet and top with pie crust before baking. Puff pastry might work but I haven't tried it so I cannot confirm.
How to Make Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie
- To make this recipe dairy-free use dairy-free plant-based butter. Melt the butter and mix into the pie filling instead of putting it as pads on top of the filling because sometimes plant based margarine won't melt and we want that rich flavor distributed throughout the pie.
- Also, use a non-dairy milk alternative like unflavored and unsweetened almond or soy milk.
- Lastly, you'll want to use a can of golden mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken. This condensed soup is dairy free whereas cream of chicken is most likely not. Check ingredient labels to double check as manufacturers may change recipes and products vary.
- Wait before slicing. This easy homemade chicken pot pie doesn't take much work to throw together but it does take some patience to get the best final results. After your pie has cooked, allow it to rest for a good 10-15 minutes before slicing into it. This is when the filling sets up so that it isn't super soupy and can be more easily sliced and served.
- You can use any kind of cooked chicken. Use shredded chicken from a rotisserie bird, leftover diced chicken breast from the night before, or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey if you have it on hand!
- You'll know that your pie is done when the top is a lovely shade of gold. The internal temperature of the pie will also reach 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Please do not grease your pie plates before using them. If you're afraid of your pie sticking to the pan, aluminum foil or parchment paper will work significantly better. Greasing the pan before laying the crust will only result in a soggy bottom crust.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 224IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg