Beer butt chicken is a fun way to make a moist and tender chicken. Oven baked and roasted it is one of the best ways to get a perfectly cooked bird every time.
– 1 can beer, filled halfway – 1/2 tsp salt – 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper – 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves – 1/2 tsp paprika – 1/8 tsp cayenne peppe – 1/2 tsp garlic powder – 1/2 tsp onion powder – 1 whole chicken
– Lower your oven rack and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
– Pat your whole chicken dry with a paper towel so that the seasonings stick better. Trim up the skin around the bottom opening and remove any organs inside if the chicken came with them.
– Pour out ½ of the can of beer and then place the beer in the center of a 9x13 baking dish
– Place the chicken on the beer can, and press down to securely tuck it up in there and make it sturdy. Adjust legs as needed.
– In a small bowl mix together the seasonings. Rub them all of the chicken, getting under the wings and making it as coated as you can.
– Using a sharp knife, puncture a hole in the skin between the thigh and breast and then tuck the tip of the wing into the hole. This keeps them from burning.
– Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. A 5lb chicken would be about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
– Remove from oven and let rest a good 10 minutes in the pan before trying to remove the beer can. It will be VERY hot.