Peppermint shortbread cookies are a refreshing tasting buttery shortbread cookie with crushed peppermint candies in every bite.
Dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with more candy cane bits, these are perfect holiday cookies.
– 1 cup butter, softened (two sticks) – 1/2 cup powdered sugar – 1 teaspoon vanilla – 2 cups all-purpose flour – 1/2 cups crushed peppermint candies (Sweet Stripes) – 4 ounces white chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
– In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
– Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
– Add in the flour and the crushed peppermint and mix again.
– Press the dough into a log parchment paper and cover well with plastic wrap before placing in the fridge.
– Chill for at least one hour.
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices. Please note that larger candy chunks will make the cuts look wonky. You can adjust this by hand to make them look neater.
– Arrange on baking sheet leaving a decent sized gap between the cookies.
– Bake for 10-12 minutes and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
– Melt your chocolate in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth.
– Dip half of each cookie into the white chocolate and place back onto a piece of parchment paper to cool and set.
– Sprinkle some additional crushed peppermint over the top of the chocolate if desired.