This poor mans prime rib is a delicious main course perfect for holidays and fancy feasts while keeping your budget in check.
Plan a whole meal for half the price and still get tender cuts of delicious meat.
– 3 pound Beef eye of round roast (room temp) – 1 tablespoon Salt – 1 tablespoon Ground pepper – 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning – 1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder – 1/2 tablespoon Onion powder – ½ tablespoon Smoked paprika or regular paprika
– Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
– Mix together to combine.
– Add your seasonings to a small bowl.
– Sprinkle the seasoning over the beef roast.
– Rub the seasoning over the roast well to coat it completely in seasoning. You may have some seasoning blend left over.
– Place the seasoned roast into a baking dish or roasting pan. Do not cover or add anything else to this pan.
– Place the pan into the oven.
– IMMEDIATELY TURN DOWN THE HEAT TO 475 DEGREES F
– Roast for 7min per pound. So a 3 pound roast is 21 minutes and a 4 pound roast is 29min, etc. If the roast gets "too dark" on the crust for your liking, you can loosley place a large piece of foil on top to prevent it from browning further.
– TURN OFF THE OVEN. Let the roast sit in the hot oven for the next 2-2.5 hours UNDISTURBED. Do not open the door at all while waiting.
Have Patience. At this point your roast will only be about 60-70degrees F in temp, the residual heat in the oven will cook it the rest of the way.
– Remove the roast from the oven.
– Place roast onto a large cutting board, and have a towel handy, it will be juicy. Carve your roast into thin slices and serve immediately.
The internal temp should have reached 145 degrees F.