This simple berry syrup recipe is one you'll want to repeat again and again. It's so sweet, flavorful, and fresh, a perfect summer topping for your pancakes.
– 2 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (or fresh and chopped) – 1/2 cup sugar – 1/4 cup water – 1/2 tsp cinnamon – 1 tsp vanilla extract Cornstrach slurry – 2 tsp cornstarch – 4 tsp water
– Place the water, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and frozen berries into a saucepan over medium high heat.
– Cook until warmed through and softened.
– When the mixture is bubbling, use a potato masher to break up the large chunks of fruit.
– You won't get it perfectly smooth, but you will make larger berries smaller, and that is the goal.
– In a small bowl whisk together the water and cornstarch needed for the cornstarch slurry.
– Add to the pot of cooked fruit.
– Stir together to combine.
– Continue to cook until thick and bubbling.
– *Optional- Pour your syrup through a sieve to remove seeds and berry chunks.
– Strain the mixture over a large bowl. Let rest for a few minutes to cool.
– Pour your syrup into a serving bottle or container.