Put a spin on a classic treat by making these lemon bars with graham cracker crust. A simple dessert packed with tangy lemon flavors in every square.
Graham Crust – 1 ½ cup Graham cracker crumbs (exactly one sleeve) – ½ teaspoon Lemon zest – 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted – 2 Tablespoons Granulated sugar Lemon Filling – ⅓ cup All purpose flour – 6 large Eggs – 1 cup Lemon juice – 2 cups Granulated suga – Powdered sugar *for dusting
– Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
– Cut a piece of parchment paper into a sling and place it into a 9x13 baking dish. You want it to come up over the two long sides as this will help you to remove the bars later.
– Add your graham crackers to a food processor. Process until fine crumbs.
– Add in the lemon zest, melted butter, and sugar. Process again until combined.
– Pour the graham cracker mixture into the prepared baking dish.
– Press out into a crust. Bake in the oven at 325F for 5 minutes.
– In a medium-sized pot on the stove, over medium heat, add the flour, lemon juice, and sugar.
– Cook and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture looks smooth.
– Crack your eggs and place them into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the eggs are broken.
– Temper the eggs by adding the hot lemon juice mixture to the eggs, a little at a time. Whisk well after each addition.
– Continue until all of the lemon mixture has joined the eggs in the bowl.
– Pour the contents of the bowl into the pot.
– Continue to cook while frequently whisking until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
– Place your baked graham cracker crust in front of you. If you turned the oven off, preheat it back to 325 degrees F.
– Pour the lemon filling on top. Carefully spread out into a nice even layer. You don't want to disturb the crust.
– Bake in the oven at 325F for 25 minutes.
– Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 hours at room temperature before placing in the fridge for another 1-2 hours (or longer).