Make an apple pie with graham cracker crust and crumb topping with this simple recipe. Packed with warm flavors and crisp apples, this recipe is almost too good to share.
Graham Cracker Crust – 1 ½ cups Graham crackers – 2 Tablespoons sugar – 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted Apple Pie Filling – 6-8 cups Apples, sliced ¼ inch thick (about 6 apples) – 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice – 2 Tablespoons Butter – ½ cup Brown sugar – ½ cup Granulated sugar – 2 teaspoons cinnamon – ½ teaspoon Ground nutmeg – 1 pinch Ground cloves – ¼ teaspoon Salt – 2 cups Water, divided – ¼ cup Cornstarch Crumble Topping: – 1 cup All-purpose flour – 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon – ⅓ cup Cold butter – ½ cup Brown sugar – ¼ teaspoon Salt
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Add your graham crackers to a food processor and blend until fine crumbs.
– Add in the melted butter and sugar and pulse again until combined.
– Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press out into a crust. Make sure to cover the bottom and sides well so that there are no gaps.
– Carefully place the pie crust into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
– While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
– Slice your apples into larger sized pieces, about 8-12 pieces per apple. Remove core and seeds. Peeling is optional.
– Add the apple slices, lemon juice, butter, sugars, spices, and 1 3/4 cups water to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
– Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
– Add the lid and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
– Prepare the cornstarch slurry by whisking together 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of cornstarch in a small bowl until well mixed.
– After the 10 minutes are up, remove the lid and add in the slurry.
– Continue to cook and stir until the apple filling has thickened. Then remove the skillet from the heat and turn off the stove burner.
– Pour the pie filling into the baked crust. Be careful not to disturb the sides, or the crumbs may fall. I like to use a slotted spoon to scoop the apple pieces and fill the crust before adding enough liquid to fill the gaps in the pie. This way its a better apples to filling ratio.
– Stir together the crumble ingredients until the size of coarse crumbs or peas.
– Spread over an apple filled pie. There will be crumble mix leftover.
– Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
– Remove from heat and let cool for 1 hour before placing in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.