Cranberry Eggnog Streusel Muffins are the PERFECT Christmas muffins recipe.
With the nutty taste of delicious eggnog and bursts of tangy cranberries in every bite, these muffins can easily become a holiday tradition.
Streusel Topping – 1/2 cup sugar – 1/2 cup flour – 1/2 tsp nutmeg – 1/8 tsp rum extract – 2 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted Muffins – 4 Tbsp butter, softened – 3/4 cup sugar – 2 large eggs – 2 1/2 cups flour – 2 tsp baking powder – 1 tsp nutmeg – 1/2 tsp salt – 1/4 tsp rum extract – 1 1/4 cup eggnog – 1 cup fresh cranberries, frozen and halved
– Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a muffin tray (or two) with liners. This recipe makes roughly 17 muffins.
– In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and then add in the melted butter, mixing just until crumbly. Set aside.
– Beat together the butter and sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl until smooth.
– Add in both eggs and beat again for about a minute until light and fluffy, making sure to scrape down the sides as you go.
– Mix in the baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and rum extract.
– Alternate adding the flour and the eggnog to the mix, mixing well after each addition until both have been thoroughly combined.
– Start and end with the flour additions.
– Fold in the frozen and halved cranberries. it helps to freeze cranberries for about an hour before making this recipe so they slice easier (and are less messy).
– Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling them about 2/3rds of the way full.
– Sprinkle the tops with the streusel topping you made earlier. You WILL have some leftover (about enough to repeat the recipe 3 times).
– Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until a pale golden brown color.
– Remove from oven and let cool.