This blueberry cream cheese babka is a simple bread recipe that brings flavor and color to every slice.
Filled with a sweetened blueberry cream cheese spread. Every soft and fluffy slice is perfect for snacking.
Dough: – 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour – 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (one packet) – 1 1/2 tsp salt – 1 cup warm water 110 F – 3 Tbsp canola oil – 2 Tbsp granulated sugar Filling: – 4 ounces cream cheese softened – 1/4 cup granulated sugar – 1/2 tsp vanilla – 1/4 cup blueberry jam
– In a bowl whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt.
– Add in the water, oil, and sugar.
– Stir and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
– Place in a greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
– Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form a large rectangle about 10x12 (or bigger).
– In a mixing bowl cream together the filling ingredients until well mixed.
– Spread the filling over the flat bread, leaving a few inches of space along the edges.
– From one end of a long side, roll towards the other side, creating a tight log of rolled dough.
– Pinch the end seam together to hold it in place.
– Using a sharp knife, slice down the center of the log, making two strands and revealing the layers inside.
– Braid the two strands together by lifting one piece and placing it over the other and repeating, alternating sides as you go. Once finished pinch the ends of the braid together to hold them in place.
– Pick up your braided dough by the center and lift it into a greased 8x4 bread pan. Place the ends of the braid underneath so that the pretty center can rest at the top.
– Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled (about an hour).
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
– When the bread has risen, bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
– Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.