This small-batch cinnamon roll recipe is perfect for a family or pair of individuals, as it makes about 4 large rolls.
Dough – 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour – 2 1/4 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast (one packet) – 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt – 1 cup Warm Water 110*F – 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil – 2 Tablespoons Sugar Cinnamon Filling – 1 cup Brown Sugar ($ – 1/3 cup Butter/Margarine – 3 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon – 1/4 teaspoon Salt Simple Icing – 1 cup Powdered Sugar – 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract – 1-2 Tablespoons Milk
– Add your flour, sugar yeast, and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk together to combine
– Make a well in the center and add to it the vegetable oil and water. Stir to combine.
– Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
– Feed it more flour as needed to get it no longer sticky. You may need about 1 more cup of flour.
– Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour in a warm place.
– Punch down the dough and transfer to a clean countertop.
– Roll the dough out into a large rectangle that is about 1/4 of an inch thick.
– Add the butter, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon needed for the filling to a small bowl. Mix well to combine into a paste.
– Use a butter knife or the back of a spoon to spread the filling over the cinnamon rolls. It sticks better when using a cold metal object than it does with your hands. Rub the filling out to within an inch of the border of the dough.
– Starting from one long end of the rectangle to the other, roll the cinnamon roll dough into a tight log. Pinch the end seams to hold it together.
– Slice the ends off and discard them, as these will have very little filling. Slice the remaining log into 4 equal-sized pieces and place them into a greased baking dish. An 8x8 or 2 qt baking dish will work fine.
– Cover the dish and allow the rolls to rest until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
– Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
– Add the icing ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk together the icing until smooth.
– Drizzle and spread the icing over the top of the cinnamon rolls.