There's nothing better than a classic ice cream like vanilla. With this recipe, you will have a deliciously sweet and creamy dessert in just a few hours and with very little prep work. You only need 3 ingredients and a jar to make this Keto mason jar ice cream.
I love this homemade vanilla ice cream recipe because it goes great with just about anything from pie to chocolate syrups, whipped cream, and more. With so many wonderful combinations, it's hard to choose! But with your ice cream being made and served in a mason jar, it might make more sense to just eat it as-is or with a few basic toppings.
There's no wrong way to enjoy this cold treat and when it's hot outside the less time spent adding toppings means the faster you can start eating, so grab a spoon and dig on in!
For more ice cream recipes, make sure to check out our 5 Minute Berry Ice Cream, No Bake Smores Ice Cream Pie, Ice Cream Nachos, and Peanut Butter Mason Jar Ice Cream.
Why this Recipe Works
- Serve it up however you want! Enjoy your homemade vanilla ice cream any way you want. Load it up with toppings, add some freshly chopped fruits, or simply grab a spoon and eat it plain.
- It's perfect for single servings. No need to whip up a large batch of ice cream when you can just make a single treat and call it a day. Perfect for those of us that don't eat ice cream too often.
- The kids can do the hard parts! What I love most is that I can grab a few mason jars and then get my kids to do the shaking. They love helping out with these ice creams and helping me to come up with new flavors.
Heavy Whipping Cream- You should look for the heavy creams with the higher fat percentage as this will give you a creamier consistency and it holds up a bit better too.
Granulated Sugar- Adding a little granulated sugar into the mix will get it nice and sweet.
Vanilla- You will need vanilla extract to help us get our desired flavor. A higher quality vanilla will give a stronger flavor but use what you have on hand.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make vanilla mason jar ice cream with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Measure the heavy cream into your pint-sized mason jar and then add in the granulated sugar.
Add in the vanilla extract and close the lid nice and tight.
Shake your jar really well for about 3-5 minutes or until you can hear the mixture thicken.
Dip a spoon into the ice cream and hold it up above the jar. If it drips more than twice, it should be shaken just a bit more. If it clings, it's good to go and you can close the lid on the jar and place it into the freezer.
Freezer for at least 3 hours before enjoying.
🍴 Recipe Tips
This is the BEST vanilla ice cream recipe, but it's important to note a few things: Make sure you use a pint sized jar for this recipe as that will be the perfect size. Too large of a jar will cause your ice cream to mix too quickly and could result in less than optimal results while a smaller jar will be harder to mix and could require a lot more physical work while you shake it around.
Another thing to note is that the ice cream will be shaken for about 3-5 minutes depending on how fast and well you can get it done. I sometimes enlist the help of my kids to do this as it's just tiring after a bit when you have to make enough jars for everybody.
You will know that the jar has finished mixing the contents when the contents become more solidified. When you first start shaking, there is a lot of liquid sloshing around, but as you continue to incorporate the air into the whipped cream and get the mixture frothy, it thickens. When you no longer hear it sloshing around as much as it did or feel that it has thickened, open the jar and test it out.
To test to see if your ice cream is thick enough, take a spoon and dip it straight down into the jar and lift it straight up. You should see the cream cling to the spoon and have no more than a drop or two of liquid. If it runs off the spoon like a chowder soup, then close the lid and continue shaking. If it's good, close the lid and place it in the freezer for a few hours.
This ice cream in a jar is good for up to 6 months when kept sealed in the freezer. However, once you open the jar and thaw the ice cream enough to eat, I do not recommend re-freezing it. This ice cream is best enjoyed in one sitting.
More great frozen treat recipes to try
- Strawberry Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Toasted Marshmallow Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Mason Jar Ice Cream
Vanilla Mason Jar Ice Cream
- ½ cup Heavy cream ($0.50)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated sugar ($0.01)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract ($0.02)
- Measure your heavy cream and pour it into a mason jar.
- Add your sugar to the jar.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Close the lid to the jar nice and tightly.
- Shake the jar really good for about 3 minutes. You'll feel the texture within the jar change slightly and the mix should be thick enough to cling to a spoon when dipped, without running off more than a drop of two.
- Place the jar in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 3 hours before eating.
Leave a Reply