This simple and easy beef stew recipe is hearty, filling, and packed with potatoes, vegetables, and deliciousness in every bowl.
With this thick and creamy beef stew, you can have a filling meal and hearty beef stew with little physical work. Just cook everything together in a pot and let the flavors simmer.
We love eating beef stew like this or if I'm in a pinch and looking for a cheaper option, my Poor Man's Beef Stew is a great alternative too. A lot of the same ingredients and cooking instructions can be swapped between these two recipes (just to show how versatile it can be).
Serve up your stew with bread rolls or a crusty bread slice with butter spread and a green side salad for a full and complete looking meal.
- Beef Stock
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Stew Meat
- Italian Seasoning
- Olive Oil
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot
- Large spoon
🍴 Recipe Tips
Personally, I love my beef stews with golden potatoes instead of russets because they don't run the risk of becoming grainy within the soup if overmixed or overcooked.
That said, either potato works great and you can choose based on your preferences or what you have on hand.
Adding pearl onions instead of diced onion is also a great option.
Baby carrots or sliced large carrots both turn out great and cook in this soup in about the same amount of time.
Tomato paste helps to create a flavorful broth and thicken the stove top stew a bit as well. That said you can use diced or stews tomatoes instead. I've even used a cup of spaghetti sauce to replace a small can of tomato paste in recipes and had good results.
Store the leftovers of this soup in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat again before eating.
Check out how to make stove top beef stew with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat
- In a bowl, mix the meat with the flour to coat.
- Add the meat to the heated oil.
- Cook until the edges appear cooked and browned. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, potatoes, and onion. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and seasonings. Stir to coat.
- Slowly add in the beef broth, mixing to dissolve the tomato paste.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then place a lid on and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes- 1 hour or until potatoes and veggies are fork-tender.
- Serve warm with salad and bread.
More great recipes to try
- Cream Cheese Bacon Pasta Bake
- Honey Lime Baked Mahi Mahi
- Browned Butter Garlic and Thyme Purple Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Fried Tuna Patties
- Creamy Orange Fluff Salad
- Cheesy Bean and Rice Burritos
Stove Top Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil ($0.39)
- 1-2 lb Beef stew meat ($5.98)
- ⅓ cup Flour ($0.20)
- 2 cups Baby carrots, (or sliced large carrots) ($0.99)
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped ($0.36)
- 1 med Onion quartered ($0.70)
- 1 lb Potatoes, quartered, yellow or russet ($1.44)
- 1 small Can tomato paste (6oz) ($0.46)
- 1 teaspoon Salt ($0.10)
- ½ teaspoon Pepper ($0.05)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning ($0.10)
- 4 cups Beef stock (32oz) ($1.33)
- In large pot heat oil over med/high heat.
- In bowl or bag mix meat with flour.
- Add meat to oil.
- Cook until the edges appear browned. Meat will be raw inside, cooked on outside. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables and potatoes cook another 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add beef stock into pot and bring to a boil.
- Place lid on pot, reduce heat and let simmer 1 hour- 1 hr and 30 min. Until potatoes are mashable with fork and veggies are soft but not mushy.
- Serve with salad and bread rolls.