Maple Dijon Roasted Rainbow Carrots are a simple and elegant side dish that's perfect for holidays, Sundays, or any time in between. With tangy and sweet carrots in every bite, your meal is sure to feel complete.
My kids love carrots and sometimes I like to surprise them by buying rainbow baby carrots instead of plain orange ones. Watching their surprise when they try to count the colors on the plate is always fun, especially when watching the toddler do it.
These maple dijon carrots are tangy, sweet, earthy, and crunchy. They feel like a nice elegant side dish that would pair great with holiday meals or a simple roasted chicken. Even my Italian Green Beans would be a great side if you don't mind the extra veggies on the plate.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's perfect for holiday feasts. Serve it up next to your Oven Roasted Cajun Turkey Breast or Honey Orange Glazed Ham at the next holiday dinner and impress your guests with a "fancy" side dish.
- The glaze is great for regular carrots too! We love this simple carrot recipe, and whether you use regular carrots or enjoy the glazed roasted rainbow carrots as we do, this recipe works great for both options.
- It's quick and easy. With minimal ingredients and effort, you can have these tasty carrots ready to eat in no time.
Baby carrots- You can use rainbow carrots or baby carrots, depending on what's easier to find in your store.
Olive oil- This will help us to cook everything down into a good consistency.
Butter- For added richness and taste.
Maple syrup- A natural sweetener that will make these carrots perfectly caramelized.
Fresh thyme- For added freshness and earthy goodness.
Dijon mustard- This will add a nice flavor and depth as well as a tiny kick of heat, which all pairs well with the maple syrup and sweet carrots.
Salt and Pepper- We like to keep the seasonings simple with basic salt and pepper.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make roasted rainbow carrots with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
In a mixing bowl, toss together the carrots with olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Lay the carrots in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until heated through and a fork can pierce them.
Once finished, melt together the butter, maple syrup, and dijon mustard in a small saucepan until dissolved.
Place the carrots into a mixing bowl and toss them together with the maple syrup mixture.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this roasted rainbow carrots recipe is simple and easy. If desired you can use fresh or dried thyme but if using dried, use about half of what is requested. This is because dried thyme is more concentrated in flavor and we don't want it to be overpowering.
Not all baby carrots are exactly the same size, so use your best judgment on slicing the larger ones in half lengthwise to create a more uniform size for even baking times.
Yes, if you plan on making these roasted colored carrots ahead, you can make them up to a day in advance. Simply bake the carrots as directed but save the glaze for serving time. Reheat the carrots in the oven until warmed through and then toss in the glaze before serving.
This glazed rainbow carrots recipe is gluten free.
You can store the leftover carrots in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Just reheat before eating.
More great side dish recipes to try
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- Heaven Berry Fluff Salad
- Roasted Frozen Cauliflower
Maple Dijon Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- 2 bags Baby carrots (1.5lbs) ($1.58)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil ($0.26)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter ($0.16)
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup ($0.28)
- 1 sprig Fresh thyme, finely chopped ($0.10)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard ($0.10)
- ½ teaspoon Salt ($0.05)
- 1 pinch Black pepper ($0.02)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the rainbow baby carrots with olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Lay the carrots in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a fork can pierce through them.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the butter, maple syrup, and dijon mustard until dissolved.
- Place the carrots into a mixing bowl and toss with the maple syrup mixture.
- Serve warm.