These Rice Krispie treats are unlike anything you’ve ever had before. Made with actual cake mix we can get a great red velvet flavor with very little effort. Not to mention the red color is perfect for Valentine’s Day and even Halloween!
Cake Mix Rice Krispies
If you’re a big fan of red velvet cake (who isn’t?) Then I’m sure you’re going to love this super simple spin on a classic treat. We’re serving up red velvet Rice Krispie treats in a new way and with just an extra step or two.
Using a little boxed cake mix we can get that flavorful tangy red velvet cake we love but still get the chewy, crispy treats that we’ve come to know and expect.
The red velvet flavor is subtle enough to not overwhelm but still present enough that you can smell and taste it in every square. Which is the perfect amount of red velvet if you ask me.
Rice Krispie ingredients
- Boxed red velvet cake mix
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies
- Cocoa powder
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making red velvet rice crispy treats recipe
To eat raw cake mix is bad, so make sure you follow along with the steps properly because untreated flour can cause you to get sick. Thankfully, we treat it ourselves with just a few minutes in the oven and that alone helps us to remove risk without removing taste.
These rice crispy treats come out about the same color as raw hamburger which makes them a fantastic idea for serving up at Halloween if you plan on making “spooky” snacks to go along with dishes like Peanut Butter and Jelly Spider Sandwiches or Cinnamon Roll Guts.
You could also add in a little red food coloring to get a richer hue and cut the crispies into heart shapes for Valentine’s Day. Far less spooky, and way more romantic.
The versatility of these treats is what I love the most, but adding a drizzle of cream cheese frosting or glaze over the top really helps to seal the deal.
FAQ’s about rice crispy treats
You can store these Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container or zipper topped baggie for up to a week or two at room temperature. I recommend eating them sooner rather than later as they’ll taste best when fresh.
Yes. To freeze your treats, place them in an airtight container or individually wrap serving-sized squares in plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer-safe container. Then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
How to make red velvet rice krispie treats
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spread 1/2 cup of dry cake mix on the baking sheet into an even layer.
Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
In a large pot on the stove, melt your butter over medium heat.
Stir in the mini marshmallows until melted, stirring occasionally.
Remove the pot from the heat and then whisk in the cake mix and cocoa powder until no streaks remain.
Stir in the cereal and toss together until well distributed and coated.
Pour the rice cereal mixture into a greased 8×8 baking dish and press down to compact into an even layer.
Let sit for about an hour to set before slicing and serving.
Drizzle come melted cream cheese frosting over the top if desired.
More great cereal bar recipes to try
- Dairy Free Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Easy Microwave Scotcheroos
- Golden Graham Smores Bars
Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 cup red velvet cake mix (JUST THE DRY POWDER!)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 1/2 cup of dry red velvet cake mix over a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in marshmallows and cook until melted, stirring occasionally until marshmallows are fully melted. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cooked and cooled cake mix, and cocoa powder until no streaks remain.
- Stir in cereal until well mixed and then pour mixture into a greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Press down the top of the cereal in pan to make into a compressed even layer. Let set for about an hour before slicing and serving.
- If desired, drizzle melted cream cheese frosting over the top.