A simple and easy side dish recipe that’s perfect for holidays or any day when you find yourself with sweet potatoes in need of a fast recipe.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Making mashed sweet potatoes for the holidays is a common trend among many houses in the US, but making them in the Instant Pot- not so much. Once you try these Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes, you’ll wonder why you never tried making them this way before.
With such an easy step by step process, you can have flavorful, spiced sweet potatoes ready for eating as-is or turning into a fast casserole dish to share alongside your feast.
Sweet Potato Mash Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot
We love sweet potato casserole and I actually find myself making it a few times a year. While I normally make stovetop sweet potatoes, making them in the Instant Pot is such a simple process that it may just become the norm around here.
Tossing everything into the IP and just letting it do its thing is so much easier than any other sweet potato recipe I’ve tried and I’ve tried a lot haha.
FAQ’s about sweet potatoes recipe
Yes, yams and sweet potatoes can easily be interchanged in this recipe as needed.
Store your leftover mashed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for no more than 3-5 days.
How to make Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes
Wash, peel, and cube your sweet potatoes.
Place the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, either in a steamer basket (if you have one) or in the pot itself. Add in 1 cup of water and close the lid.
Cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
Do a Quick Pressure Release and open your Instant Pot. Do NOT turn it off.
Melt the butter in the pot while your IP is still on “warm” mode.
Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Add the potatoes back into the pot and mash.
Mix to combine everything, and then serve warm or follow notes for marshmallow topped casserole.
More Great Recipes to Try
- 5 Ingredient Carrot Muffins
- Instant Pot Steamed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Steamed Brussel Sprouts
- 4 Ingredient Oatmeal Cookies
- Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Honey Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water (for cooking)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Wash, peel, and cube your sweet potatoes to about 1 inch cubes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, either in a steamer basket (if you have one) or in the pot itself. Add in 1 cup of water and close the lid.
- Set the valve to seal and cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a Quick Pressure Release and open your Instant Pot. Do NOT turn off the Instant Pot.
- Drain all liquid from inside and place the sweet potatoes into a colander ( or leave in a steamer basket).
- While your IP is still on "warm" mode, melt the butter in the pot.
- Add in the brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot and mash.
- Mix to combine everything, and then serve warm.