A simple and easy side dish recipe that's perfect for holidays or any day when you find yourself with sweet potatoes in need of a fast recipe.
Making mashed sweet potatoes for the holidays is a common trend among many houses in the US, but making them in the Instant Pot- not so much. Once you try these Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes, you'll wonder why you never tried making them this way before.
With such an easy step by step process, you can have flavorful, spiced sweet potatoes ready for eating as-is or turning into a fast casserole dish to share alongside your feast. This sweet potato mash is versatile and always ready for a good holiday meal, of course, the pressure cooker mashed sweet potatoes are also great for just a weeknight meal too.
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Wash, peel, and cube your sweet potatoes.
Place the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, either in a steamer basket (if you have one) or in the pot itself. Add in 1 cup of water and close the lid.
Cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
Do a Quick Pressure Release and open your Instant Pot. Do NOT turn it off.
Drain all liquid and place the sweet potatoes into a colander (or leave them in the steamer basket).
Melt the butter in the pot while your IP is still on "warm" mode.
Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Add the potatoes back into the pot and mash.
Mix to combine everything, and then serve warm or follow notes for marshmallow topped casserole.
🍴 Recipe Tips
We love sweet potato casserole and I actually find myself making it a few times a year. While I normally make stovetop sweet potatoes, making mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot is such a simple process that it may just become the norm around here.
Tossing everything into the IP and just letting it do its thing is so much easier than any other sweet potato recipe I've tried and I've tried a lot haha.
Yes, yams and sweet potatoes can easily be interchanged in this sweet potatoes recipe as needed.
Store your leftover mashed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for no more than 3-5 days.
Here are some more great Instant Pot recipes to try
- Instant Pot Steamed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Steamed Brussel Sprouts
- Instant Pot Turkey Tacos
- Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Instant Pot Tuna Casserole
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes ($2.16)
- 1 cup water ($0.00)
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter ($0.09)
- 1-2 tablespoon brown sugar ($0.04)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup ($0.14)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt ($0.02)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract ($0.01)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg ($0.01)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ($0.02)
- Wash, peel, and cube your sweet potatoes to about 1 inch cubes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, either in a steamer basket (if you have one) or in the pot itself. Add in 1 cup of water and close the lid.
- Set the valve to seal and cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a Quick Pressure Release and open your Instant Pot. Do NOT turn off the Instant Pot.
- Drain all liquid from inside and place the sweet potatoes into a colander ( or leave in a steamer basket).
- While your IP is still on "warm" mode, melt the butter in the pot.
- Add in the brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot and mash.
- Mix to combine everything, and then serve warm.
Leave a Reply