Hot chocolate bombs are a trendy new way to make your favorite winter drink. Make these cocoa filled balls and give them out as gifts or serve them to guest at the next holiday party.
Hot Cocoa Bombs
I originally received this idea for hot chocolate balls with marshmallows inside after seeing something similar from Costco. Although, there's no reason to stop there! By adding our favorite shelf-stable ingredients for cocoa inside you can create unique experiences that are fun from the start!
I went easy and just used some instant cocoa packets with marshmallows since I had those on hand, but you can DIY hot chocolate mixes and toss whatever you want in there!
You can even use a dairy free cocoa mix and dairy free chocolate to create something more vegan-friendly! Really, the possibilities are pretty great.
Easy hot cocoa bomb ingredients
- Chocolate chips or melting chocolate
- Cocoa mix
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Milk or white chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint candies
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Microwave safe bowls
- Silicone bath bomb mold
Tips for making chocolate bombs for hot chocolate
When you make your hot chocolate bombs there are a few things to consider:
- How hot is it in the room?
- Will they be given out as gifts or kept for personal use?
- What do you want to fill them with?
The heat in the room will be a big factor when it comes to assembling these balls and if you look at my fingerprint covered chocolate balls you'll see exactly why! If you can make these outside, or in a room with a cooler temperature, I highly recommend it.
Chocolate will melt to human heat, but adding in the room temperatures and space heaters, you're looking at a pretty messy situation.
If you plan on giving these out as gifts, make a test batch first and learn from your mistakes. It's a very easy recipe to make, but it's also very easy to mess up if you know what I mean. Also, wearing some latex gloves could help prevent the fingerprint situation and give a cleaner appearance.
These balls could be filled with just about anything but it needs to be dry contents and fill no more than half of the sphere because otherwise, it will be difficult to assemble. One packet of instant cocoa perfectly fills one half of this bomb.
FAQ's about hot chocolate bombs recipe
A hot chocolate bomb is a ball made from two sphere molds and melted chocolate. Filled with cocoa mix (homemade or storebought) and any number of cocoa ingredients like peppermint or chocolate chips, these little cocoa balls are fun and exciting new ways to enjoy your favorite holiday drink.
Use colored melting chocolate, a different variety of dry cocoa mix, or try different add-ins.
I personally think so! The melted chocolate adds a new layer of depth with the cocoa flavors and makes it even creamier.
How to make hot chocolate bombs
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt half of the chocolate in 30 second burst, stirring between each until smooth.
- Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of melted chocolate into each some. Spread it over the inside of the cup and get it up and along the edges well.
- Let cool and set.
- Repeat steps one and 2 to make an additional layer. If needed, repeat again for a third layer.
- Once the chocolate domes have set, pour one packet of instant cocoa into three domes, leaving three empty.
- Remove the chocolate domes and place them on a COLD plate. Warm plates will cause the domes to stick!
- Add in any additional add-in's now.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat and heat up the empty spheres, edges facing down until slightly melted.
- Assemble the bombs by lining up the melted edge with the edge of a filled dome.
- Use your finger to smooth out the edges.
- Repeat until finished and keep stored in the fridge.
- When ready to use, put a cocoa bomb in a mug and top with warm milk.
- Allow to dissolve.
- Stir with a spoon and enjoy.
Some more great recipes to look at
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Honey Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Smoked Salmon and Spinach Quiche
- 45 Minute Cinnamon Rolls
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 cup melting chocolate discs or chocolate chips
- 3 packs instant cocoa mix
- mini marshmallows
- crushed peppermint candies
- chocolate chips
- Melt half of your chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until smooth.
- Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate into each mold and push it up along the sides to cover the entire dome shape. Let cool and set.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2, making sure to cover the sides well with chocolate. If needed repeat and do a third layer.
- Once your chocolate has set, pour one packet of cocoa mix into 3 of the half-spheres.
- Remove the chocolate domes and set them on a COLD PLATE!
- Add any additional add-ins now.
- Warm a skillet over medium high heat on the stove and take the unfilled domes and place them in the pan, edges down, to warm and melt them.
- Take the dome and place it on a filled half, lining up the edges as best as you can. Use your fingers to smooth out the connecting line between the two and seal the contents well.
- Repeat until all have been finished and let them set. Place the plate in the fridge and store the chocolate bombs until ready to use.
How to use
- Place a chocolate bomb into a mug and then top with warm water or milk. Let dissolve.
- Stir and enjoy!