Mason jar ice cream is one of the most fun ways to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. With a little mixing and shaking and a whole lot of patience, you can get a delicious fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream in a jar that everyone can enjoy.
Homemade mint ice cream
If you're anything like me, this year you've got a herb garden over producing on the goods. Constantly searching for fresh mint recipes can be a little tricky, but thankfully I found this recipe.
My husband and kids LOVE mint chocolate chip ice cream, so being able to make it at home is a fun way to use our fresh mint leaves and control the ice cream to chocolate ratio.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream ingredients
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
- Mint leaves
- Green food coloring *optional
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making homemade ice cream in a jar
You may not need to mix this ice cream for a full three minutes depending on how well you can mix it. I find that it helps to turn the jar sideways and at angles as I'm shaking because it gets mixed better that way.
If you overmix the cream it will become butter instead of ice cream. While delicious, this isn't what we are looking for.
No this ice cream does not expand as it freezes. That said, leave room in the jars because it helps it to chill more evenly and quickly.
Yes you can refreeze this ice cream but it isn't as enjoyable as it will have had ice crystals form and will taste like refrozen ice cream.
Using a wide mouthed pint sized mason jar is best because it's not too big or too small and the wide mouth helps so that you can get your hand in there and scoop out the ice cream to eat.
How to make fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream
Pour your heavy cream into a mason jar.
Add in the sugar and vanilla.
Add the green food coloring, mint leaves, and chocolate chips.
Close the lid securely on the mason jar.
Shake for a good 3 minutes or so until the mixture has been well mixed and combined. You'll know it's mixed enough when you can insert a spoon and it doesn't drip.
Place the closed mason jar in the freezer for at least 3 hours to chill before serving.
Check out these other mason jar ice cream recipes!
- Peanut Butter Jelly Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Toasted Marshmallow Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Vanilla Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Strawberry Mason Jar Ice Cream
Fresh Mint Choc Chip Mason Jar Ice Cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- 1-3 drops green food coloring
- Pour your heavy cream into a mason jar.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla.
- Add the green food coloring, mint leaves, and chocolate chips.
- Close the lid securely on the mason jar.
- Shake for a good 3 minutes or so until the mixture has been well mixed and combined. You'll know it's mixed enough when you can insert a spoon and it doesn't drip.
- Place the closed mason jar in the freezer for at least 3 hours to chill before serving.