A simple, rich, and indulgent brownie is just a boxed cake mix away. Made with Devil's food cake mix instead of brownie mix, we get an even richer tasting brownie with no extra work. Perfect for a simple dessert when you want something sweet.
What to do when you have a box of cake mix but don't want cake? Make cake mix brownies! It's such a simple and easy recipe that you can have a delicious batch of brownies in no time and with no more effort than if you were to have made the actual cake. These brownies can come in flavors you won't find in a packaged brownie mix.
We love brownies and always keep boxed cake mix on hand, so whenever the mood strikes, a dessert is just moments away. No additional trips to the grocery store are needed. these devil's food brownies are the perfect blend of easy and delicious.
- Devil's food cake boxed mix
- Large eggs
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- 8x8 baking dish
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making these brownies from devils food cake mix is incredibly easy and quite fun to do. Simply mix together the ingredients and pour them into a pan. Simple.
That said, you should keep in mind that you do not want to overmix the batter. Overmixing your brownie batter will lead to a much more crumbly texture and not the soft fudgy ones we are looking for. So only mix until you have gotten no flour streaks remaining.
You can add in 1-2 cups of chocolate chips if desired for an even stronger chocolate flavor.
Yes, any standard-sized box of cake mix (about 15.25 ounces in size) can be turned into a batch of brownies following this simple recipe using eggs and vegetable oil.
Yes, you can use melted butter instead of oil if desired. This will give you a richer taste too. Coconut oil may also be used but it will alter the flavors to include coconut.
These devil's food cake brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Any longer than that and they may become stale or dry out, so eating them sooner is best for freshest results.
Check out how to make Devils food cake mix brownies with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a square 8x8 baking dish.
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together with a fork until just blended.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and then place it into the oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
More great brownie recipes to try
- Frosted Hershey Cocoa Brownies
- Easy Smores Brownies
- Brownie Mix Cookies
- Ice Cream Cone Brownies
- Rich and Chocolatey Vegan Mug Brownie
- Easy Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies (from Cake Mix)
Devils Food Cake Brownies
- 15 oz box devils food cake mix ($1.24)
- 2 large eggs ($0.16)
- ½ cup vegetable oil ($0.24)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a fork or whisk until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Do not overmix the batter or you will end up with crumbly textured brownies.
- You can add in up to 2 cups of chocolate chips if desired.
- Any standard sized cake mix (15.25oz) will work for this recipe, including different flavors.
- You can use melted butter in place of the oil, this will give you a richer taste. Even coconut oil works well.
- Storage. Keep these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For best results eat within a few days.