Cinnamon swirl banana bread is a combination of cinnamon roll filling and streusel topping for the most incredible banana experience. Adding the simple glaze on top just makes things sweeter (and prettier).
Try this recipe today and see why I can’t stop raving about it!
Cinnamon crumble banana bread
I love this cinnamon swirl banana bread with streusel topping so much that I finished half of the loaf on the first day. Of course, I do enjoy banana bread, and cinnamon is my favorite spice flavor so there’s that.
If you enjoy cinnamon like I do, there’s no doubt you’ll enjoy this simple bread recipe too. It’s a great twist on the traditional banana bread recipes out there and a fun way to use up those ripe bananas.
Ingredients for banana bread with cinnamon swirl
Banana Bread Batter
- Ripe bananas
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making cinnamon banana bread
Making this banana bread is really easy but getting nice swirls can be a tad more difficult than expected. Over swirl and the design disappears, under swirl and you have thick cinnamon filling spots to bite through.
There’s nothing wrong with either, but keep it in mind as you swirl around. I like to use a butter knife because it’s thick on one side and thin on the other so I can twirl it slightly and create a variety of techniques in my swirls.
You could also use a toothpick for smaller swirls for the back end of a wooden spoon.
FAQ’s about banana bread
Cinnamon swirl banana muffins can be made by dividing the batter and technique amongst muffin tins. Fill 1/3 of the way, add a dollop of cinnamon filling, top with a little more batter and swirl with a toothpick. Top with streusel, bake and then glaze. Bake muffins for about 15-20 minutes at 350F. Muffins should be filled 2/3s full before baking and be tested with a toothpick when finished.
Yes, after the bread has cooled completely wrap it well in plastic wrap and then store it in an airtight container. It can remain frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating. For best result do not add the glaze until ready to serve so that it doesn’t melt as it thaws.
How to make cinnamon swirl banana bread
Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a bread pan, set it aside.
In a small bowl combine the streusel topping until it forms small crumbs and then set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mash your banana.
Stir in the oil.
Mix in the baking soda and salt.
Whisk in the vanilla, egg, and sugar until smooth.
Stir in the flour until no streaks remain.
In another bowl combine the cinnamon filling ingredients until smooth.
Pour 1/3 of the bread batter into the bread loaf pan and then dollop with spoonfuls of cinnamon filling.
Swirl the dollops around with a butterknife until well swirled.
Top with another 1/3 of batter and repeat the dollops and swirls.
Pour the remaining batter on top and then sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the bread batter.
Press down gently to adhere.
Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Top with glaze and let set before slicing and serving.
More great banana recipes to try
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
- Pistachio Banana Bread
- Fruity Pebbles Banana Bread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- 8×4 bread loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 2-3 ripe)
- 1/3 cup oil (can use melted butter)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar (can add up to 1/2 cup more for sweeter)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, soft
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×4 loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the streusel topping ingredients until they form small crumbs, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.
- Stir in oil or melted butter.
- Mix in the baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the vanilla, egg, and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in flour until no flour streaks remain.
- In another bowl combine the cinnamon swirl ingredients until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 of the bread batter into your prepared baking pan and then dollop small spoonfuls of cinnamon swirl mixture on top.
- Use a butter knife to swirl a design through the cinnamon swirl.
- Top with another 1/3 of batter and repeat the dollops and swirl. You may not need all of the cinnamon swirl filling.
- Add the final bit of banana bread batter over the top and then sprinkle the streusel over the top. Press down gently to adhere.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before flipping to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze by whisking the ingredients together until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over the top of the bread as desired and let set.
- Slice and serve.