These banana orange muffins are a great snack or breakfast treat. Made with ripe bananas, orange zest, and extract you end up with moist muffins packed with flavor in every bite.
If you've never thought of combining two fruits into one muffin, you may never stop thinking about it again. Orange and banana muffins are the two flavors that were made perfectly for one another and this batch of muffins will not last long.
With a deliciously moist banana muffin and the wonderful aroma and tangy taste of orange in every bite, you're going to feel that these are perfect for breakfast, and that's okay! I'd like to think that because there are two fruits represented, these citrus banana muffins are healthy enough to count as a good breakfast food, but honestly, that's just because I can't wait until snack time before grabbing another muffin from the tray.
- Ripe Bananas
- Canola Oil
- Baking Soda
- Orange Extract
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Orange Zest
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Muffin tray
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
🍴 Recipe Tips
The orange flavor in these muffins is subtle but noticeable. If you allow the muffins to sit for a few hours or overnight, the orange flavor actually becomes stronger too! So for that reason, I do not recommend adding any more orange flavoring into the muffins until you know what you're getting yourself into. This can help from making them overwhelemingly orange.
For a richer flavor, you can use melted butter in place of the oil. But for a slightly healthier muffin, coconut oil works great too. Just note that the coconut oil would give a subtle coconut flavor to the muffins giving you a more tropical flavored muffin in the end. Which, is also a very tasty treat.
These muffins are good for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature but for best flavor I recommend eating within 2 days.
Absolutely! Just thaw the bananas first so that they are easier to mash and toss out any of the liquid that comes from them as that will make the batter too wet. Then mash and use as directed.
Check out how to make banana orange muffins with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your muffin tray with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash your ripe bananas.
- Stir in the canola oil.
- Mix in your baking soda, orange extract, egg, sugar, and salt until well mixed.
- Stir in the flour until just mixed and no flour streaks remain.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin trays filling them about ⅔s of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
More great banana recipes to try
- Banana Nut Bagels
- Banana Cornbread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
- Fruity Pebbles Banana Bread
Banana Orange Muffins
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas, about 2-3 ripe ($.75)
- ⅓ cup canola oil ($0.16)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda ($0.01)
- ¼ teaspoon salt ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ($0.02)
- 1 large egg ($0.08)
- ½ cup sugar ($0.11)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour ($0.12)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest ($0.04)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.
- Stir in canola oil.
- Mix in the baking soda, orange zest, and salt.
- Mix in the vanilla, orange extract, egg, and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in flour until no flour streaks remain.
- Scoop into muffin pan filling each one about ⅔rd of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.